Says here that the farmer’s carry is a full-body workout. Can I just do farmer’s carries every day?

@ghancock1210 That sounds like a great idea actually. I'm currently not doing too much active stuff due to ankle issues. Walking on a treadmill is basically what I'm doing. Adding that little farmers carry should help more with the cardio anyway and also get some resistance training too

@dinneratsix That makes a helluva lot more sense than my stupid ass imagining holding the weights & pressing the stop button with my head, like you do with the light switch when your hands are full 🤷🏼‍♀️

@ronaldjose180 I’ve only done this using light enough weights that I was able to hold both in one arm (one in my hand, the other one held against my body with my elbow/forearm) when I needed to adjust the treadmill settings.

@dinneratsix You shouldn't just do them, but you shouldn't not do them. Tom haviland does a 90 minute walk with a 90 lb weighted vest every day. So I'd say there is some serious benefits with weighted carries in general.

@dinneratsix Have you looked into any other ‘strong man’ type exercises? Weightlifting and cardio equipment are popular, but are certainly not the only modalities to fitness.

Maybe you prefer more ‘work’ or functional exercises. Suitcase carries, sand bag moves and carries, sled pushes and pulls and drags, etc. heck I’d look into kettle bells too if you haven’t already.

I don’t think farmers carries will cover everything, but they are definitely one of the best exercises you can do, so that’s good you like them! Maybe there are other non-standard exercises you like out there that can fill the gaps.

@dinneratsix What is your goal with exercise. Everyday farmers carry with a progressive overload will certainly do something. It will not build your cardio or cause hypertrophy. It will make you strong as hell in the farmers carry and build killer grip strength.

@dinneratsix you could expand the idea a bit to make it more full body:

pick stuff up, put it over head, move it about (think this is a dan john quote actually)

so you could mix in picking up odd objects or trap bars or different mixes of dumbbells off the floor - maybe do a few reps

then in various positions - in hand, overhead, racked on shoulder…

move them across the room

you’d be getting a mix of hinge / pull / squat to get stuff up… press to get it to shoulder height or above… and ab + other body work on the carries