Eating more protein when you don't like protein

@skillz Seeds might be your friends! I know chia seed and flax seed are packed with protein (and fibre and omega 3), but there must be many more good ones. Easy to add to your meals!

@skillz I like cottage cheese (I beleibe good culture has a lactose free one) mixed w ranch dressing powder as a dip with veggies! Usually with chicken sausage (aidells) one the side.

@madoc55 Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen so many people eating cottage cheese with sausage and veg on social media but idk I can't get myself to like it at all! The texture and flavour is all off for me.

@skillz Have you tried it before? I thought the same but apparnelty had never actually tried cottage cheese before just had it stuck in my head as a texture thing somehow hahhah

@madoc55 Yeah I've tried it a couple times. Most recently I tried to make a ranch dip out of it subbing it for the yoghurt I normally use and it's just horrendous.

@skillz Have you tried the good culture brand? That’s honestly the only one I’ve tried! I also added it to lasagna soup for extra protein and it blended right in

@skillz One guess is you aren't used to consuming more protein and higher portions of these kinds of foods. You don't have to jump straight from 60g to 100g if it feels like you need an adjustment period.

The other is it does take some trial and error at first to find what sticks, and you are on the right path! Just keep trying, and be open to preparing foods in different ways if the taste and texture makes you write it off immediately at first (obviously if you are trying to cut down on meat for any reason, look for alternate sources). If you cook you can make so many more adjustments to the ingredients to increase protein, and every 5g counts! People like to sneak protein powder in everything, from oatmeal to pancakes.

My favorite protein sources lately: 100g+ egg whites (add spices and toppings!), bone broth as a soup base, assorted frozen seafood mix (in soups or fried rice), white fish baked or in the air fryer. I also like Greek yogurt bars but am only mildly lactose intolerant at times.

@skillz I make a lot of plant-based salads for lunch, and usually add both beans and peas. I get the frozen peas from Aldi and let them defrost in the refrigerator. The Aldi peas are better than what I’ve had from some other grocery stores I’ve tried, but I’m sure there are good non-Aldi frozen peas out there. 2/3 cup is 70 calories and 5G of protein. More calorie dense than other frozen veggies, and a really nice way to add protein. I also make a pea hummus recipe from Allison day’s “Whole bowls.” Recipe calls for one clove of garlic, 2 cups of frozen defrosted green peas, 1/4 cups hulled sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 cup evoo, and salt to taste. Process the garlic first in the food processor to make sure it’s broken up and then add everything else. It’s tasty and I like to spread it on everything. Just make sure your sunflower seeds are fresh and that you don’t defrost the peas in the microwave! I was also making a similar dip with white beans, garlic and butternut squash, but can’t seem to find the recipe. Bean-based condiments can be a slippery slope if you’re counting calories, but they can be so much fun if you’re trying to add plant-based protein.

Back