Emma Gardner not going to college to train at CompTrain

@memrin Bio medical engineering, then did actuarial science while studying for the professional exams. Worked at the same time, I could have swapped the working for working out. Fraser was studying engineering, school isn't a death sentence unless you're at MIT or something wild like that.

@bynet Idk. Working out during bachelors was fine. But now I’m that I’m getting my masters (computer and security) I have no energy left after course work, thesis work, and then work work most days. My free time now is left for cooking, cleaning, and catching up on much needed sleep.

My gym schedule has gone from 4x a week to maybe 1x a week.

Maybe I’m just a pussy 😂 but it sucks. I can’t wait till it’s over so I can get back to it.

@dawn16 Depends on your supervisor too. Idk my friends seem to be handling it ok. Our work loads are completely different even though we’re taking same number of credits

@memrin yeah I was a GA and you're easily working 40+ hours a week for that (altho only getting paid for 20), plus about 20-40 hours of coursework, and then for me, working a PT job to cover the expenses that my stipend didn't cover. I was lucky to work out twice a week. It's temporary, tho! Worth it in the end!

@bynet Also Fraser did take time off:

After his injury, Fraser enrolled at the Olympic Education Center at Northern Michigan University to study math and physics while he recovered from his operation.[18][9] He gave up weightlifting as a sport after two years in Michigan, and went to Rocky Mountain House in Alberta to work on the oil fields for four months,[19] before returning to Vermont to start a double major course in mechanical engineering and engineering management and a double minor in math and business at the University of Vermont in Burlington.[18] Fraser started training in a CrossFit gym when he was 22,[11] and competed in CrossFit events in 2013, but initially, he competed only to earn some pocket money while he was studying.[20]

I’m not saying it’s impossible but I know some of these athletes train 4-6 hours a day. Idk how they’re going to have energy after a full’s day of classes to train for that long with high intensity… then go home and do assignment work. Lol AND get enough sleep to recover.

@memrin Uhm he quit weightlifting after breaking his back and being pushed to compete despite sensing something was off with his body, he then had to leave the school he was at and was working for a bit while looking for a new university. He did study and finished his degree while competing in CF.

I did a co-op bachelor's while training for 4 to 6 hours daily, competing internationally and working during the off-season as well. I'm currently working full-time, have a 6-year-old, getting a second master's part-time and still training 12-15h per week (mostly oly lifting but a few CF sessions here and there for fun). It's not impossible just requires planning ahead and being well organized.

@sfanacogdoches Yeah but it allowed him to focus his time and energy one thing and get it done faster.

And good for you man, that’s pretty amazing. Like I said it’s not impossible. It depends on how much you want it and where you see yourself in 5 years.
And not to take away from your accomplishments but working full time, and a part time master and still working out is a bit easier when you’re not completely alone and have people (wife/parents) you can depend on. My cousin got his phd, while competing for Canada’s freestyle wrestling team and working… and he had a 3 year old. Would he be able to handle all of that and house chores and what not if he was completely on his own? 🤷‍♀️

@memrin I'm not a man... My husband and I are both expats without family around so support is very limited.

Yeah but it allowed him to focus his time and energy one thing and get it done faster.

What exactly? The 4 months he worked in the oil fields? Because he took up CF and competed when he went back to university and before that he was also studying and trying to make the Olympics in weightlifting.

The point is an 18-year-old can easily train multiple times a day and do a couple of courses or get some work experience that is not CF-related without having to worry that it will impact performance, recovery, or chances to make some money in the sport.

@grace4nan I don't begrudge her tanning a year off to see if crossfit can turn into something real for her, but I'm losing confidence in the comptrain system. They're losing their athletes and coaches, and are flat out underperforming compared to their prior success. They need to reinvent fast, which is probably what they hope to do with Emma.