Emma Gardner not going to college to train at CompTrain

@josie129 It reallly depends on the career, but most career level/with experience/degree required jobs Iā€™m seeing atm in business (marketing and HR) start 35-40k. Maybe 45 in a larger city. I got ā€œluckyā€ with my job and started at 47k. Most of those are with masterā€™s degree preferred, as well.

Also, FWIW 50k/year is a not a good starting salary for entry level work at this point, either.

Iā€™m actually working on learning some digital creation skills to do more media and content stuff. Hopefully that skill set will transfer to more lucrative gig work in the future! If nothing else itā€™s fun to do!

Master's Degree ... oof, but could be worse, here entry level accounting clerks get paid roughly $22k and the more experienced accountants get paid like $35k, though I'm unsure of the degree requirements (I suspect there are none.)

@dawn16 Bruh what are you talking about. I started in B4 and made $60K straight out of school. No one in B4 is making $35K if theyā€™re in audit, tax, or advisory.

@921 My god maybe other people have different experiences and your n=1 sample size isnā€™t the same as others experiences?

@dawn16 Umm also started off in B4 at 65k. Also we all talk so any of our points is n>1. There is nowhere in the US where any of the big 4 firms pay 35k to entry level accountants.

You are quite clearly the one with no idea what youā€™re talking about.

@orthodoxlady1994
EDIT: to be clear, I'm not judging her for it, just that it's an even more interesting situation at CompTrain now.

She has a chance to compete at the highest level of something. That is a feeling very few people on earth will ever feel.

If I were her parents, I would do everything I could to help her live that dream. The pension, some jerk boss, and a new Camry will still be there when she's done.

@orthodoxlady1994 I definitely don't think she's making a worse decision than someone who takes a year or two off to go on a working trip around the world.

And if my son said 'Dad, I want to take two years to travel before I start college' I'd be completely supportive of that.

@orthodoxlady1994 That also depends on the metric of "success" itself. Some people think it's a big bank with the car, house, marriage, etc. While others are ok having bare minimum and chasing dreams

I guess, as long as whatever "struggles" don't hinder the mind, then you're good. Heck, there's a girl on tiktok famous for living out of her sedan, simply because she wants to haha (i know, awkward points but you know what I'm saying)