Fat and Tired

@michele303 Setting goals that align with what you value is key. Seems like OP doesn’t want to be “fat and tired” anymore. I don’t think that 98% percentile athletic performance is required for those goals.

Plenty of people are in top shape and never even deadlift (gasp) or run hard (also gasp). Being healthy just requires consistency and discipline with diet and fitness.

Maybe I’m misreading OPs goals but it seems like his targets and his purpose may be out of alignment. I wish all the very best in their fitness journeys.

@bettie Well, I’m not a professional athlete, but I had 505 squat and deadlift respectively at 170lbs, with a 320 bench, and did well in my meet.

In addition, I have done pretty well in my MMA training and still play competitive basketball into my 30’s. In high school I was 3rd in my state in rebounds, so that was cool.

I coach as well, and helped lead a high school team deeper into the playoffs with conditioning assistance.

I aced kinesiology with ease.

I was a personal trainer for about 5 years, commercially and privately, and in that time I helped a few people get fit enough to complete Sherrifs Exams, get ready for military boot camp, and assisted a few high school/college athletes getting ready for scouting opportunities.

I took up cycling as well, and have went from a category D to a category B in about 60 days on Zwift.

So, I guess nothing “notable” but enough for me to have SOME idea of what I’m saying I guess…

How about yourself?

@michele303 Those are some decent intermediate lifts, nice work.

Since you asked,

I have squatted 606, benched 465, deadlifted 765, set a state record for the deadlift, ran a 5:35 mile, completed multiple marathons and 3 ultras, as well as took second place in a trail ultra marathon, all in the last year.

I've also written programs used by tens of thousands of people to get stronger.

@silverflame If you are struggling for motivation then I would recommend stepping away from those targets. That's not to say you couldn't get there, but it would be an outstanding achievement if you did.

I would at the very least set smaller and more achievable short term targets. For example, complete all of those exercises and record how fast you could do it / how much you could lift today. Then set a target of improving them by x%. Keep it achievable. Keep it short term. Set micro-targets that build towards your end goal. Keep the wins coming, otherwise those far off targets are going to be really demotivating.

@silverflame It's possible but it requires tight control of your diet. Personally I'd pick a battle. Lose weight or gain muscle. You will probably achieve a bit of both either way if you are training and eating consistently.

I find the "body cecomposition" idea of losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time often just leaves people spinning their wheels and not really getting anywhere. Or, progress is so slow that its hard to stick to.

@wethepeople Yeah, I don’t expect to manage both when I’ve struggled to do either! I think I really need to “bite the bullet” and just focus on weight loss/diet. Maybe strength training focus during can just be about being consistent rather than trying to get stronger.

@silverflame If you're totally deconditioned you can still get stronger while losing weight. Pick one of the recommended linear progression programs (I like 5/3/1 for beginners) and start light. Over time you'll get a lot stronger, and you can just adjust the total volume if you run into problems trying to recover between workouts.

@silverflame When I started my weightloss I begun with eating at maintenance and tried to train something 5 days a week. It could be a 15min of air squats and pushups, or just a brisk walk. And as time goes on you can continue adding activites.

@silverflame Get the /r/MacroFactor app for diet goals.

Commit to getting quality sleep.

Pick a lifting program that excites you, go after it for 6 months before you change your mind.

Go on ten minute walks a few times a day.

@silverflame As a former 6’ 245 pounder who’s made it to sub 200, I’ll share my personal experience.

To echo what others have said, diet should be priority #1. For me, I did (and still do) the keto thing. I’m actually bulking now but still eat the same way, just more. It’s not for everyone, but it worked well for me and does not leave me feeling hungry; and my energy levels are much better with a keto diet vs a sugary/high carb diet. My only advice is if you’re going to try the keto thing is give it at least a week or two so your body can get used to the changes, don’t cheat for at least a month if you stick to it, and make sure you’re getting enough fat (fatty meat such as ground beef, bacon) and electrolytes (salt and avacados).

For the fitness aspect, I started out just cardio, run/walk 3-4 days a week, then straight running when I could. Once I dropped about 20 lbs I started 5x5. Consistency is key. When you don’t feel like working out and would rather have a muffin- work out anyway and don’t eat a muffin. Simple as that.

Conversely, don’t hurt yourself. I’ve made this mistake many times over the years. I get super motivated, push way too hard and over exert myself and end up with an injury that puts me back to being a fat bastard. So, push yourself and be consistent, but if something feels wrong as in potential injury wrong, don’t push through it. Stop and chill. Stick to the diet. If you hurt your elbow, well you can still run for a few weeks while that heals.

Anyway, good luck.