Favourite grips

jjmcubbin

I’m in the market for grips after ripping the crap out of my palms during 24.3

I tried out the wodies before which I hated and haven’t used again. I’ve also tried victory grips which have been decent.

I’m kinda interested in the sky hill 2.0 but open to opinions are your fav grips

Why is it your fav? How is the fit? How would you rate the grippiness? If you’ve had them a long time did any manufacturing defects show up?

Thanks in advance!

@theological1988 Yes!! I got 124 reps in 24.3 and was one of the only people in my gym who didn't rip. I always use grips (Bear Komplex) but I use a corn shaver to remove the top layer of my calluses once or twice a week.

@jjmcubbin How are victory grips not mentioned yet. Way better than bear komplex (I have owned many bear komplex).

If you are male, go with the tactical. If you are female possibly rethink that.

Learn the fold. Learn the fold regardless of what you choose.

@jacob2i I should have cleared up why in my post. Good question.

I have seen someone with soft hands have issues with the liner that the tactical grips have. It’s Kevlar. I literally can not feel any roughness, but one female in particular had big issues with it. I’ve seen several that did not.

@jjmcubbin For me, and the vast majority of my gym, Velites chalk free. The grip is insane, and has meant I’ve progressed really fast with gymnastics and capacity. I haven’t had a single rip since I got them in October, and I don’t take particularly good care of my callouses either. I have quite sweaty hands too, but I never have the need for chalk which is great!

The only downside is that you can’t have any chalk on the bar. I always give the rig a quick wipe down before using it otherwise they’re very slippy. Most of my gym now use them though, so it’s less and less of an issue!

@chasingvisions I haven't ripped either since getting them but I also think I've just improved how I'm gripping the bar, and my hands have toughened up in the right places.

The grip is insane, I can hang on way longer. But they are quite chunky and people sometimes get bruising on the back of their hand if they are on too tight. They are tricky to turn around when you need them out of the way for other work in the wod.

For comps, the bars are nearly always chalked to fuck so you have to scramble to clean them before jumping up.

@veilmenacex Yeah, I pretty much consistently have marks on my wrists and back of hands from them, but I don’t mind as it’s not painful. (But for some people that could be a deal breaker) it definitely took a bit of getting used to, but I wouldn’t go back!

I’ve preordered the all terrain ones which are supposed to work fine on chalked surfaces too, excited to see how they shape up!

Back