Feeling after workout

tutrinhatpro

How should one feel after a kettlebell workout? I’m starting strength training using kettlebells to complement 5 days of running for half marathon.

For context I’m doing
5x10 swings 1min rest using 35lbs,
5 getups per side 1:30 min rest per rep using 18lbs,
5 x 5 cleans 1min rest using 18lbs,
5 x 5 single leg deadlift 1min rest using 18lbs,
10 x 5 calf raises 1min rest using 18lbs

My average hr during the exercise is 113 and max of 142. After the workout I feel like I just finished an east run as opposed to feeling like a speed workout which was what I thought it should feel. I’m planning to do this 2-3x a week. Is this feeling normal or should I reduce rest/ up the weight for some of the workouts or something else?

Edit: commas. I thought the post was gonna be formatted the way I wrote it

@premier3092 Is that a polite way of saying "a sweaty mess, lying on the floor in a cloud of chalk, sucking for air, cursing my coach but still happy to be alive"?

@tutrinhatpro So one random comment I have is that you should remove the deadlifts. It's the same movement pattern as the swings. If you want the additional volume you should do more swings.

If the workout is too intense, increase the rest periods. You can also post form check videos to get some critiques.

As you get used to the movements, the workouts will become easier and you can decrease the rest periods again.

@tutrinhatpro My 2 cents: as a marathon runner you will already have a high level of base endurance. Just because you are using a KB doesn't mean that it's strength training; depending on the weight, it can be biased more towards endurance. We don't know your BW, but in general 35 lb is the starting weight for adult males, so chances are very bright that it's way too light for you; 44 lb (20 kg) or 53 lb (24 kg) is likely to be a much better fit (for the long term, not if you're just starting).

I get that you are just starting your strength training, so use the 35 lb to learn technique and then progress to heavier weights. Or else do kettlebell sport (especially sport marathons) which IMO complements running pretty well. Caveat: I say this not as a runner, but as a KB sport guy - all KB sport guys do lots of cardio, mostly running, so this should be like PB and J.

You also have other options: assuming that the weight training is to improve your running and that you are not committed to KBs, an alternative is to ditch the KBs in favour of barbells a couple of times a week.

Strength training doesn't play by the rules of HR. If you haven't had systematic exposure to strength training, I recommend you get professional guidance at least for a while until you get the basic technique and thought process down.

Hope this is helpful; happy to elaborate if something is not clear.

GLHF with your racing!

@loves2readya I see. But when I tried next weight for swings it feels too heavy and when I did the 35 for the other workouts it feels too heavy as well. Especially for the clean and getups. I keep banging my wrists in the cleans. Should I just go heavier and work through it till I get the hang of it?

@tutrinhatpro Your KB weights are too low and there's no need to be so precise with fixed rest times: it's ok to start your next set when you feel like doing so. I've read the Simple & Sinister book, it's a very easy read and I found it very insightful.

Heart rates are very personal and dependent on age, but my initial gut feeling is that average HR of 113 is too low for a KB training session, but on the other hand, with the weights you are using I'd probably have a similar average heart rate.

@tutrinhatpro I'd try to get a 26lb bell and use that instead of the 18lb. I'm pretty similar to you in weight/height/training age as you, and I used 26lb for C&P and TGU for a while to start with. That'll ease you into the 35lb.

@tutrinhatpro Weights too light for strength training. Fore reference, this is like someone saying they want to do speedwork for a run by doing zone 2 training. You need to go heavier to see the benefits you're looking for.

Back