Busy Dad, tired of feeling like shit. Asking for advice

@megustajesus Yup. Just wanted to make people aware that if they start to get some lower back pain be aware that they should look into taking a break from burpees.

I'm speaking from personal experience.

Also, these guys:

@scottsony I found that lower back pain comes from not jumping your feet close enough to your hands, so when you stand up and straighten your back, you are having to sort of lift your upper body from a farther point, much like a fulcrum. I know this post is old, but if anyone happens along here, something to consider. Once I realized this and made sure to be mindful of my technique, it went away. Might not be the same for everyone though.

@tomaszpl Dude, I feel you. I’m a 51 year old father of three young kids. You’ve received a lot of good fitness advice so let me add: focus on time management, stress management, and sleep management.
  • Time: do you watch TV? Do you watch pro sports? Do you watch CNN or Fox? Try turning that stuff off. All of it. No joke. I stopped watching TV a few years ago and it’s crazy how much free time I recaptured.
  • Stress: see above about not watching CNN or Fox. Also, spend as much time with your kids as you can.
  • Sleep: don’t take your smartphone to your bedroom. Don’t take your smartphone to your bedroom. Don’t take your smartphone to your bedroom.
Focus on those three things for a week or two. You’ll likely reduce your cortisol, a stress hormone that DEPRESSES TESTOSTERONE and makes you prone to put on weight!

Good luck.

@thebookofesther The first point was a big one for me. You have to prioritize fitness. Have. To. It’s the only way you’re going to do it, and eventually it becomes a thing you do - like watching TV to unwind, you’ll train yourself to exercise every night or you’ll feel awful.

And remember, everything counts. Yoga, stretching, sets of pushups. It’s all exercise, just do some!

@tomaszpl 40+ dad here, used to be super tired all the time due to lack of sleep, started taking vitamin D and now feel much better. Got my vitamin D level tested, it was way below normal.

@tomaszpl Get a 16kg kettlebell and the Simple & Sinister book or e-book. A kettlebell is compact, can be used in the garage, sidewalk, a patch of grass, what ever your comfortable with, and as you start getting fitter it is a versatile tool.

Simple & Sinister is a simple program of swings and Turkish getups that will get you moving and build functional strength in the upper and lower body. The program is scalable for where you are at and where you want to get to. If you can't do it as prescribed then slow it down and do the work at a lower intensity and build up to the prescribed program.

@aleutian Kettlebells are awesome. The most minimalist and effective workout you can do in my opinion. Functional movement, posture improvement, stamina building , time efficient, easy on the joints, minimal equipment.

@aleutian Agree with this. If the program is too much, simplify and focus on swings. Also check out the book the 4-hour body by Tim Ferris for a (sustainable and easy) diet plan. He recommends kettle bell swings as the most bang for your buck exercise.

@aleutian If the kids enjoy swinging, you can use them as human kettlebells. Grasp them securely in between your hands and do kettlebell swings! Great fun for the kids; great exercise for you. When done safely, of course.

@tomaszpl First off that look at your sleep quality as it’s clearly off. Secondly for diet focus on reducing processed foods, sugar and refined grains; mainly eating real whole food. Get a solid amount of protein in your breakfast.

There are a lot of exercise routines that can be done at home. Prioritizing some sort of strength training will be good. You can do bodyweight work though I think getting a couple kettlebells is honesty the way to go. There are a lot of good strength training exercises you can do with them.

@tomaszpl Vitamins. Stretching. Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. Eat way less and lose weight by counting calories or doing some type of portion control diet (Intermittent Fasting is essentially portion control).

And mostly just enjoy the ride! I’m 6 months into parenthood and it sucks but it’s the best!

@tomaszpl Was in a similar situation, weight wise. Was able to cut 30 lbs by (mostly) eating less. Helped to take the stairs, and walk during my lunch break.

Air squats, jumping jacks, and similar helped too. Started with 5 once an hour and worked up from there. Depending on your work location, wall sits and planks are good too.

@tomaszpl If you can work in walks into your routine it will help a lot. Every day at lunch or while on a conference call assuming the weather permits

There is some body weight exercises you could start doing with stretches as well

You need to do stuff 6 days a week and it can be much less than people think

Back