Finding double 20kg front squats difficult

brownie

I have a single 16, and two 20kg’s. I’ve been easing back into training after an illness and up until now have been using a single 16 or a single 20 for the armor building complex. I feel well enough to move up to doubles now and have no issue cleaning or pressing 2 20s but my front squat sucks. I’ve back squatted with barbells okay but 40kg feels heavy on the front for me. I’m hesitant to buy another 16 as my swing, clean, and press is fine with 2 x 20kg. Any suggestions on how I can still follow ABC? Is it as simple as ‘practice more front squats!’?

EDIT: I probably should have just watched MW in this:

@brownie Yeah, largely it's just a matter of practing the squats more.

You could do a hard squat workout with 2x20, and then follow up with single kb ABCs.

@brownie Where's the point of failure? For me it was always my shoulders... that double 20 front rack is a killer. The wolf cured it. Although thinking about it, I used double 16s, then graduated to 20s.

@brownie I find double front squats to be really taxing on my upper back and core because you are holding so much weight on your front. It may be that you just need to adjust to how hard you have to work to keep your back engaged to hold your torso up, rather than letting the bells pull you down. I saw a rec for racked carries, and that makes sense, but I think there is a unique challenge with squatting because your torso naturally tilts forward, which means you sort of have to pull back against the bells.

@brownie Try doing some single 20kg front squats, alternating sides. Build up to it. Front squats emphasize core in a different way than traditional back squats do. Plus you need to build up the adductors, plus there is the whole issue of holding the bell in place in the first place.

Also how often are you swinging? Try doing more swings. Swings will build up your core and your glutes and your adductors. People don't realize how much the adductor is involved in the squat and it can be a limiting factor for lots of people.

Also you could get an additional 16kg and do double 16's.

Remember weight lifting is not just about 1 muscle group. All of the muscle groups need to get stronger together.

@brownie Try overhead squats, starting with a broomstick or piece of PVC pipe. Master the form with these and it will translate over to double KB front squat. It really teaches you how to sit back with an upright chest.

@brownie IDK if you're American or an Amazon customer, but they have lots of deals right now under $1 a pound.

I needed a "throw away" bell a few months ago and got a "yes4all" brand with 1 day delivery for under $1 / pound and am quite honestly blown away with it. It's not quite up to my kettlebells usa e coats, but easily on par with rogues I've seen and the like.