Fitness apps that don't emphasize weight loss?

jbsimmons

I've gone through the wiki but the only resources on the disordered eating page were for EDs, so I figured I'd ask here! As some background, I'm disabled & overweight, and I've spent the last few years working on self acceptance, body neutrality, all that jazz.

All of the apps I've tried have either had weight loss baked into goal setting (walk X steps a day to lose Y weight in Z amount of time) or not had any goal tracking or way of looking through my history and progress. I just want to be able to count my steps and track workouts and be able to set goals within the program without those goals all focusing on weight and size. I'm okay with seeing calories used, but if it's connected to weight loss I'll slip into obsessive calorie counting.

I'd love some suggestions from any of you who have struggled with the same thing! I've been avoiding MFP but it's starting to look like that might be my best option.

@jbsimmons I am an iOS developer and trainer building a workout app - www.strongineering.com. We are trying to gather beta test volunteers and providing 6 months free access to our premium version in return.

We are focused on workout side of a fitness app, for efficient workout logging and good workout programming, but we will also have some nutrition tracker feature, probably not as detailed MFP. But I reckon it will be a good option for you to consider.

So, why not check out our website and sign up for beta testing waitlist? We are planning to launch in June 2024, the direct link is here - waitlist form

Our workout app provides:
  • Personalization & Periodization workout - provide a home-training workout program :)
  • Easy Workout Logging
  • AI-driven recommendation
  • Dashboard & Analytics
It would be great if you can have a look at my workout app, which is meant to be the "next-generation" workout app that would really help general gym goers to properly train with progressive overload, and prevent overtraining, without spending too much time on creating/adjusting their own workout programs.

@jbsimmons If you’re going strength training Fitbod works for me.

I never input calories into it and it doesn’t ask.

It tells me what I’ve burned but there’s really no nutritional benefit to the app.

It simply lets me save workouts, log my weights, and guesses my strength based on that over time. It also has a lot of recommendations for exercises based on what you want to do. It also gives me cool trophies whenever I hit a goal or record.

You might have to set it once just so it can get a picture of possible 1RM, but it hasn’t asked me again.

@jbsimmons FitOn is great- has all kinds of workout videos that you can select by amount of time, area of focus, type of workout. Has some good tips on healthy eating, mental/emotional wellness, etc. and the free version is great!

@jbsimmons I love the new Momentum app from Sohee Lee and her team, but it is designed for strength training and there is a monthly subscription fee. I’ve subscribed to her programming since 2020 and love it, and I say this as someone who has lifted weight on and off for 20 years. If you want to get into weight lifting, it’s worth checking out. You can look at their social media if you’re curious about their background, training, and philosophy. I’m in ED recovery for 15 yrs and I do not track calories as it’s not healthy for me, and I appreciate that the workouts allow you to track how much you are lifting for each exercise, there’s space to put in notes, the workouts change every month, they are incredibly well designed, and there’s video explanations for each exercise along with gym and home versions, full length and “turbo mode”/30min versions, you can get form checks from the coaches plus there’s a space in the app to connect with other members and ask questions to the coaches. This is not paid I just love their programming and philosophy so much, Sohee and her team are extremely knowledgeable about accessibility, body neutrality, intuitive eating and trauma informed behavior change. I’ve tried a lot of different apps and programs and coaches over the years and this is the only one I have stuck with and would recommend to others.

@crossxfire OMG I was looking into what kind of app/program I’ve been wanting to get and didn’t realize Sohee’s app came out. She’s one influencer I’m happy to support, can’t wait to check the app out

@jbsimmons I haven't used it myself, but someone I follow on Instagram has an app called Mila Movement. The creator is so joyful and focuses on building habits and actually enjoying movement. Even if you don't use the app, following her on Instagram is a great boost for me as she's so encouraging!

@jbsimmons I use Hevy to track my workouts/progress but it is pretty limited if you aren’t paying for it. You can only create so many exercises within the app (they have a big library but sometimes I’ll come across one that isn’t) and you can only make three “workouts” but I just store all of my exercises under three different categories and it’s not an issue (upper body, cardio/core, and lower body).

Idk if it’s right for you but it’s a good app that keeps me motivated without focusing on weight. I personally like how it tracks distance, weightlifting, reps, and workouts.

@jbsimmons Peloton app! You can start with more gentle classes and they give a lot of modification options. You can also do “challenges/programs” where it might be ten yoga classes a month. They also have classes where you use weights or just body weight. Logan A is a good instructor for modifying, he also describes what he’s wearing for those that are visually impaired.

@gomgom Came here to say this!! I love the Chair Yoga & Logan also has adaptive strength programs that can be done seated. The meditations are also amazing. I feel like even with just the app you can do so much.

@jbsimmons Maybe I'm just not paying attention, but I have never seen my Garmin app ask me for a weight update in my life. I set it once so that it can approximate my BMR (useful) and then never think of it again.

@silibro My garmin app has been prompting me to reduce my BMI to improve my cardiovascular health since the moment I gave birth and unchecked the “pregnant” box. 🤪

I still love it don’t get my wrong but I don’t really need that reminder lmfao… maybe I only get it because I have logged weight in it though