Folks who workout twice a day, what does your life look like on a daily basis?

@heegar I have less time in the evenings to sit around the gym. In my 20s, I would leave work, lift for an hour or hour and a half, then do 30min-hr of cardio.

I have a family, shit that needs to be done around the house, so at least 3 days a week I try to lift during my lunch break at work, which I can usually get a good 45 minutes out of since I have a gym next door, and then I’ll go back to the gym in the evening right after work or after the kiddo is down to do some cardio or HIIT.

Total time investment is still probably 1.5-2hrs, but that’s how I’ve split it up to work better with my current schedule.

Though if I’m being honest, how consistent I am with my 2 a days depends on the time of year and how busy I am at work. When it’s crunch time I’m usually eating at my desk if I’m eating at all.

@heegar Currently in a marathon training block and parenting a toddler, so I'm doing 2X some days to keep up with strength training. It helps that my husband has an offset schedule from me, so he can workout after I leave the house. Also key is having equipment at home, so no travel time necessary.
  • 3:30-4:30 - Wake up and run 8-12 miles before kiddo wakes up
  • 6:30 - Leave for work (plus daycare drop-off)
  • Read a book or watch a TV show during my lunch hour
  • 5:00 - Home from work (plus daycare pick-up)
  • Playtime
  • 6:00 - Dinner
  • 6:30-7:30 - Strength training, yoga, etc
  • Playtime/bedtime routines
  • 8:30-9:00 - Go to sleep (min 6.5 hours of sleep each night)

@heegar Bike to the gym at 5am, 90 minutes there, bike on to work (25km round) , walk 15-20K steps, nap, and finish off with sauna & stretching.

I've got a wonky knee awaiting an MRI but when it gets better, I'd like to try Muay Thai in the evenings.

I sleep 5-6 hours a night. 48 y/o.

@heegar To be honest it sounds like you’re dreaming up excuse before you’ve even gotten started. 9-5 gives you 6/7 hours every day non sleeping and you have two full days on weekends presumably. Start however you want but getting going is more important than planning. Start small and add to it what you can. You most definitely have plenty of time to do it.

@olusanya800 No, I’m not. I’m thinking more like should I stretch one workout to 1.5 hours and be like let’s say bike 15 minutes to the gym/park, lift or run an hour, bike another 15 minutes back to home.

Thanks for the judgement tho! 🫤

@heegar I’m just being honest. You said you “don’t even have time for a hobby” which seems impossible to me. Single and no kids with an ordinary job gives you plenty of opportunity. It’s tough love not judgement. And most of all I am a believer that something is better than nothing. “All or something” instead of “all or nothing”. Best of luck.

@heegar For what it's worth, my lifting sessions only last about 45 mins or less, as I stick to the biggest bang for my buck and minimal accessories. That gives me time (and leaves me energy) to do an endurance workout (like going for a bike ride) later in the day. Plus recovery is quicker as my central nervous system isn't as taxed. Basically all that to say that you really don't need to stretch your workouts to 90 mins when you're already struggling to find the time. You've got this!!

@heegar I don’t know how people workout 2x a day unless they aren’t working out that hard or they are on some sort of PED. I lift 4x a week and if I do any more, my energy levels drop. However, I do recommend going for a 10 minute walk after every meal. If you count those as workouts, I actually workout 5-6x/day

@heegar When I’m not dealing with an injury it looks like this:

630 - up and get ready, shower and eat breakfast

7:30 - leave for work, in office at 8

Fortunate to have a gym w shower at the office so workout 12-1

4:00 - leave work, either go to the gym downstairs, or gym next to home.

6:00 - go home, make dinner, do chores

9:00 - wrap up whatever chores (usually dishes), watch tv or read

10-10:30 - bed

If you can’t find time to workout more than 30 min in your life then IMO you are mismanaging time. None of what you listed should take long and cats are pretty low maintenance.

@heegar I do a basic PPL split, mostly dumbbell focused (my gyms don’t have barbells unfortunately).

Push is usually DB bench press, incline bench press, overhead press, Boyd weight dips, flys, Arnold’s, cable push downs, skull crushers, lateral raises.

Pull is one-arm DB, or chest supported machine row, pull-ups/chin-ups, upright row, reverse flys, face pulls, shrugs, and a variety of bicep curls.

Legs is squats or leg press, deadlifts, calf extensions, machine leg extension, machine leg curl, machine calf press, toe raises.

Also do some ab stuff in and around, it’s a good part of the warmup sets.

@heegar I don't often do two workouts in a day but I have do so in he past Weights in the morning, Easy jog/brisk walk/yoga in the evening. First workout is to pump me up at the start of the day. Second is to mellow out at the end of the day.

@heegar I work remote and my schedule is very flexible. I average 2-3 workouts a day. M-F is usually either morning or lunch time class (some combo of spin, HIIT, or yoga). Then most days after work I’m either at the gym or doing a yoga class, sometimes both.

Weekends I usually only do one yoga class in the morning. I also don’t have a car so I basically walk everywhere.

I start to wind down for the night around 10 most days and spend about an hour or so reading. But sometimes the routine is thrown for a loop whenever I have evening or weekend plans.

@heegar I train everyday I try to go for a second round at least twice per week to do stuff I forget . Forearms,abs etc
I try to walk 10 km at least per day .
I may have to start running now since my wife is pregnant and we spent more time at home and that hurts my burned calories
I want to keep under 12% bf but I eat tons of food . It’s been harder last month

@heegar I don’t do two-a-days every day but I lift weights 4x/week (5am in morning) and do cardio 4x/week (12pm before lunch). Two of those days overlap and I only take Sunday completely off. I also have a goal to reach 12,000 steps every day.

@heegar I do 2-a-days six days a week (technically three workouts on Saturdays). The days aren’t super precise but do follow a pattern, which is that the workouts immediately precede and immediately follow the work day for me.

The weekdays look like:
  • Wake up sometime around 6am
  • Spend the next couple of hours doing whatever I want to fill that time with, be it tasks/productivity-related or recreation
  • Around 8:30am to 8:45am, do first workout of the day, which is always ~40mins of whatever cardio. For the last three years, it’s been basketball.
  • Between 9:00am and 9:30am, I’ll feed and spend some time with the dogs and get ready for work
  • 9:30am: Start work
  • I’ll stop work sometime between 4:30pm and 5:00pm
  • Between 5pm and 6:00-6:30pm, second workout (lifting)
  • After that, it’s dinner and evening time (usually doing something with my wife)
  • In bed for sleep by 10pm
I’ve definitely optimized a lot of things by this point - I work from home, so no commute. I don’t have breakfast. The vast majority of my meals are premade. I work very efficiently during my workday to keep it tight and I am very firm with my hours/availability.

Back