from 8 pull ups to 20 and also from 10 dips to 35 in 6 weeks

@pittsburgh14 Hey I can’t understand the language they’ve used in the article. How exactly does it work?
5,4,3,21 is what sets it reps? Could you pls explain it? I can currently do 4 pull ups max

@immd Pavel (the author) recommends 2-5 minutes in general between sets. Since you're working close to your max, the longer rests help.

You are always welcome to do it with shorter rests but you won't get full recovery between sets. I find that I rest closer to 5 minutes between the first few sets and shorten the rests between the subsequent sets.

@gloriousruins You rest one day a week on the basic 5RM plan. You add more rest days as your ability to perform tons of reps climbs. As Tsatsouline states in the article:

The higher the reps, the greater the fatigue... Experiment. An extra day of rest here and there is also in order; the recovery from sets of fifteen or twenty is not nearly as quick as from fives and triples."

Though this doesn't seem to make sense from a traditional training perspective, it does work. It's emphasis on motor learning in the nervous system rather than building more muscle hypertrophy per se. If you're familiar with the "Grease the Groove" concepts this is very similar: lots of reps performed at a less-than-maximum intensity on a daily or near-daily basis.

I talk more about it in this post here.

@gflorentino You will likely build some muscle but it's a side-effect rather than the main goal. If your goal is hypertrophy (muscle growth) there are faster ways to get it.

@thaplongtho I don't know of any mind-blowing way to get huge fast on bodyweight training only, so I'll be brief in my response so it's not a huge derail.

I think this is a reasonable approach. If this interests you I recommend picking up the training manual. There are dozens of other approaches as well, many of which would be superior to the fighter routine for building mass.

@ilovegodalmighty That's close. What he's saying is that if you have a 15RM (you can do a repetition maximum of 15 reps) you would do set 1: 12 reps, set 2: 10 reps, set 3: 8 reps, set 4: 6 reps, set 5: 4 reps on the first day.

There are always 5 working sets on this program.

Edit: this is from the bottom of the article where he posts changes based on if you can do fewer than 5 reps or more than 15. https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

"You can see that the higher the RM, the quicker the reps drop off. The reason is simple. You should have no problem doing four reps a few minutes after 5RMx5. But x24 is not going to happen after an all-out set of 25. The higher the reps, the greater the fatigue. Therefore, you need to start more reps down from your rep-max and cut the reps more between sets. Experiment. An extra day of rest here and there is also in order; the recovery from sets of fifteen or twenty is not nearly as quick as from fives and triples."

Back