Frustrated over being very fat.

ms7dc

Trying to receive my motivation here. Very day. Working out very hard the last 6 months. I’m “in shape” l but still fat as fuck. (Yes, yes, I know, I know, I’m not in shape bc I’m a fatass, but I can do cardio and HIIT forever, have good objective health metrics aside from being a fatass, and can lift like a horse. That’s what I mean.)

Diet sucks. Need to change that. Am in the process of doing so.

Very frustrated. 6 months going hard and I feel like I’ve gotten nowhere.

Any words of wisdom/experience aside from the obvious that “you need to lose weight”?

Edit: Thanks for all the advice/encouragement/tough love. Gonna get at this.

@ms7dc I was at my heaviest running 30 miles a week. I lost all my extra weight after getting injured and becoming relatively sedentary. We’re very energy-efficient animals, which is a fancy way of saying that you will never outrun a bad diet. It is all diet.

@unbridledwild Amen. Putting aside cardiovascular and longer term benefits - exercise is great for maintaining weight but not so good for losing.

The tried and true is to go on some walks, lift heavy a few times a week, and count calories with exactness.

You can lose weight on 1500 calories of Twinkies/day. You just gotta eat less man. The next 4 months are going to pass either way. You going to just be in the same place then as you are now or get a bit uncomfortable, eat less, and feel and look a ton better?

@when1959 I would say it helps in more subtle ways. When I’m up on my exercising, I sleep more deeply, I usually feel way fewer urges to mindlessly snack after I’ve just done a round of hard cardio (strength training makes me ravenous though), and my mental health is better so I don’t deal with feelings by eating, I’ve dealt with them in a healthier way. Exercising can also give you a bit of wiggle room in your diet, especially for short women like myself who can only eat so much before gaining weight. Being able to eat an extra 75-100 calories in the form of a healthy snack or a treat does a lot for satiety and not feeling deprived.

@when1959 Yea- I tend to mention the professor with the Twinkie diet whenever anyone mentions “I eat healthy but I’m gaining weight!”

I didn’t lose weight (30 lbs) until I started tracking calories plus weighing and measuring everything I put in my mouth.

@mrsmac0324 I wish more people knew this. It's drilled into us that what makes you fat is candy, soda and chips and not exercising. I've gained plenty of weight while eating mostly lean meats, vegetables and whole grains. That second helping of boneless skinless chicken, broccoli and brown rice is still 500 calories, same as two ounces of Doritos and a can of Coke.

@mrsmac0324 Haha yeah I don’t remember details but when I started getting healthier I watched some video and that really stuck with me. Really drives home energy expenditure and the simplicity of losing weight.

Back