Getting stronger after 50

heart2soul

Hi all,

I have been training with TrainWithWaves programs for almost 6 months and have been training with Patrick @ngie as my coach for 3 months. I have made good progress and besides getting me stronger Patrick helped me train without triggering lower back pain by programming the right volume and giving me specific exercises.

I could C&P double 24 kg in January 3 reps. In May I pressed them 8 reps. I also pressed for the first time one 32 kg C&P for one rep.

My bodyweight increased around 9kg in these 6 months. I went from 85kg to 94kg, I am 1m90.

I am 50 y/o and would like to hear from others in their 50ties or older how much strength progress you have made after 50.

I am wondering how much progress I can still make. I am aiming for double 32kg as my 8 RM.

@heart2soul I’m not quite 50 yet (46 in September). Your post is a bit inspirational. As far as how much progress you can make, I don’t know. A variety of factors play into stuff like this. The possibilities are endless. You’ve made the first huge step…consistency.

Stay consistent and you might surprise yourself.

@heart2soul Consistency is key and having evolving goals all help. A coach can help too. And being ok with plateaus and knowing when you need to change things up a bit. I'm a couple of years away from 50, but looking at some decent goals to work towards. And really happy with kettlebells as the tools.

I'm finding endurance and conditioning and mobility are taking more priority than straight strength these days. Kettlebell sport is keeping me engaged, the different lifts and rankings offer a wide range of progress markers. A bit more hypertrophy and bodyweight stuff instead of barbells and so on seems to work well for me. But still gaining mass and muscle, and getting fitter every year.

Keep it up! Muscle mass is a key indicator for aging well. Been listening to some good podcasts with people like Kelly Starret and Peter Attia - worth checking out.

@em3817 This is right on. Plateaus are an honest part of training. It’s taken me a while, but I finally realize that plateaus are an indicator that I need some rest. I take them as an indication that it’s time to go into maintenance for a little while. I also use them as an opportunity to work on things that don’t get prioritize when I’m pushing for bigger and more. Not I never would have figured this out without consistency. Consistency is the key to everything.

@mojo487 Totally. I'm still getting wise to this, when to know to step back a bit or change tack. But as long as you're consistent, you really don't lose any "gains" if you take it easy for a week or even a month, you can still progress in other areas, and circle back to the earlier goal.

@em3817 At one point I want to learn kettlebell sport too. I like the idea to train with both hardstyle and sport style. I live in Germany, but in November I will be for one month in Australia, where I will have more time. I am thinking of training in a kettlebell sport club for one month (if that is possible) or have an in-person trainer who can introduce me to the different lifts.

@heart2soul Well let me know when you are in Aus and we can maybe train together! There are a bunch of gyms I can put you in touch with around the country.

@heart2soul I am 55 and have been training with kettlebells and steel mace/clubs for 8 years (self taught except for one tele-session a few years ago with Joe Daniels). Prior to that, I exercised regularly, including barbell and dumbbell basic gym lifts, running, yoga, spin. I don't do specific programs, I just do whatever movements I want to do on any given morning, but I am consistent. From my experience, you can make progress, even if it is slow (and it will likely be slow). I regularly press 24kg, 28kg and 32 kg for multiple reps. I'm not shredded, nor am I particularly muscular in the traditional sense, but I know that I am strong.

At 55, I am pushing and pulling more volume than I did at 50 and I don't have as many aches and pains or tweaks as I did 5 years ago. My recovery has also improved. Some of that might be getting my diet dialed in, but most of it is due to working the heavier weights consistently and with good form. I used to be afraid of injury from heavier weights, but my form has improved and I stick with the basics, knowing when to say when. My bodyweight also increased over the past several years. I went from weighing 90kg in 2018 to 101kg today (I am 1m75), yet I wear the same size pants. I had to go from L to XL sized shirts, however, due to my shoulders and lats growing.

Honestly, at this point, my goal is to maintain, rather than chase PR's, but what you are aiming for is definitely achievable. Just keep showing up and doing the work! Best of luck to you!

@michaelgre2021 This is awesome. Have you always worked out? I only started when I hit 40, and have lost about 6-7kg of fat and gained about 7-8kg of muscle mass. Still a bit of a dad bod, but stronger and fitter than ever.

Heavier weights, good form, and dialling in recovery make all the difference.

@em3817 I played sports as a kid all the way through Junior college (baseball). In my 20's I ran occasionally for fitness but wasn't ever really a "distance runner" - more like 2 miles and done 3 or 4 days per week. That was a very busy time in my life with college, becoming a new Dad, starting a professional career, etc. so it was hit and miss. In my 30's I lifted at the gym 3 days per week fairly consistently and kept it pretty basic. I didn't get serious about training until my early 40's and that evolved into where I am now, which is almost exclusively kettlebells, steel mace/clubs, occasional sprints, walking, weighted bands, and stretching/yoga. At 50, I started bjj and did that for a couple of years, but didn't go back after the pandemic because it just doesn't fit in my life anymore. I definitely have a dad bod, too. Well, I guess now I can call it a Granddad bod...but I'm strong and fit, don't take any meds, my labs are always good, and I don't have any physical ailments (knock on wood).

@michaelgre2021 That is great to hear. Thanks for sharing. I haven’t been consistent in the past, mainly due to injuries, but also traveling for work. The last 6 months I was consistent and I hope to keep it up, now that my main issue “lower back pain” seems to be solved.

@heart2soul
I am wondering how much progress I can still make. I am aiming for double 32kg as my 8 RM.

Above average 60 and 70 year olds are nowhere near as strong as above average 30 year olds, but above average older men are still almost as strong as the average sedentary 30 year old, which is pretty impressive when you think about it. Imagine your 60-year-old dad carrying a washer up the stairs with your little brother's help, and only being slightly out of breath for example.

So, basically, if you're starting from "the couch" at 50, but used to train on and off at 30, you can probably get back to where you were. It'll just be a lot of work to get there. If you barely, or never, worked out in the past, you can definitely still get stronger than you ever were, but honestly, you'll only have about 5-10 years before you start to decline.

Unless you hit up the TRT. Then you'll definitely be able to get near to your 30s peak, and quicker, and it'll be easier. Also, you might have 15 years 'til the decline on TRT.

edit: here are some more details: http://www.strongur.io/age-and-strength/

@heart2soul I started kettlebells 2 years ago at age 51. I was 6'2" 220lbs. Been athletic my whole life, but never lifted any weights, mostly played competitive sports - basketball, baseball, squash. 8 years ago I blew out my Achilles, decided to hang up competitive sports. Tough pill to swallow, because other than training for and running a marathon, I'd never really done any workout, particularly solo. Enter kettlebells. Loved them almost immediately. Found a really gifted KB trainer (best money ever spent) and taught me all of the key moves for next 3 mos. Been doing it 3x/week since. Long story short, I've been working with a guy who programs for me - mostly 10 weekers. Can honestly say that I am objectively stronger than ever and just turned 53. Legs were always weirdly strong and flexible, had 36" vertical & could dunk easily as junior in HS with no lifting. But arms had nothing. Ha. But squats have gotten heavier and heavier with no trouble. Overall, I started most exercises at 16KGs, but now can't imagine using that bell for anything. Bottom line, I am a huge fan of KBs and feel I'm getting stronger and stronger. Good luck to you, sir!

Below are my last 10-week programs:

Warmup
Deadbugs - 10/10
Bird Dogs - 12/12
Egg Rolls - 12
Front/Back Windmills - 10/10/10/10
Budda Rock - 10

Deadlifts 28KG 5, 5
Swing 28KG 15, 15, 20

Goblet Squat 28KG 3, 3, 4​

Workout
Goblet Squat 44KG 4x3,1x4
Jerks (practice)
1 ASW 4x12 28KG
Reverse Lunge 3x5 24KG
Treadmill: 5.0 Incline; 4.2 MPH for 10 minutes

Cool down
Heart Rate Max: 151

Time: 52 minutes​

Program Start Date: 3/27/23
End Date: 5/29/23

Heavy MP (32k)& Pull-up
Week 1: 4x1
Week 2: 5x1
Week 3: 6x1
Week 4: 7x1
Week 5: 8x1
Week 6: 9x1
Week 7: 10x1
Week 8: 11x1
Week 9: 12x1
Week 10: 13x1

Heavy Gob squat (44k)
Week1: 5x3
Week 2: 4x3,1x4
Week 3: 3x3,2x4
Week 4: 2x3, 3x4
Week 5: 1x3, 4x4
Week 6: 5x4
Week 7: 4x4, 1x5
Week 8: 3x4, 2x5
Week 9: 2x4, 3x5
Week 10: 1x4, 4x5

Snatch/RL complex: (18k)
Week 1: 5/5 x3
Week 2: 2x5/5, 1x6/5
Week 3: 1x5/5, 2x6/5
Week 4: 3x6/5
Week 5: 2x6/5, 1x7/5
Week 6: 1x6/5, 2x7/5
Week 7: 3x7/5
Week 8: 2x7/5, 1x8/5
Week 9: 1x7/5, 2x8/5
Week 10: 3x8/5

Light MP & Gob: 4x4

Day 1-snatches always 1 set 8, 1 set 9, 1 set 10

Day 2-RL always 3 sets/5reps

Day 2-Jerks (practice)

Day 2-1 ASW 4sets 12 reps
Day 3- 1 ASW 3 sets 12 reps

Day 1: Heavy MP, med pull-ups, light gob squat, snatches

Day 2: Heavy gob squat, jerks, 1ASW

DAY 3: Heavy pull ups, 1 ASW, light MP, RL/snatch complex

After 4 weeks we'll fill in the MP & pull-up!