Had 61 y/o roommate in hospital - living proof that bwf rocks

@moonlitsonata Thank you for the post. It made my day. I wonder how long I can workout and posts like yours tell me I'll be rolling up with my walker to the pullup bar and cranking them out. Going to save this one.

@moonlitsonata Wonder if he has ever experienced any set backs like injuries. If not, he is just extremely lucky. I am 30 and seem to strain a muscle or twinge my back a couple times a year from working out regularly and being active... Some people just have amazing genetics.

@moonlitsonata Sounds like my dad--62 years old, no wrinkles, works a physical job, cycles multiple times a week, runs on trails, skis. Fitness to him is 100% a lifestyle and I hope he can still hoof it up the hill when he is 90.

@moonlitsonata
hasn't used an elevator in decades!

Not always a good idea, especially when you live in a tropical country with high humidity, unless you don't mind to reek of stale sweat.

Even worse idea to walk down stairs too much. I damaged my left knee after once walking down six storeys.

@littleboat Calves, hip-flexors, hamstrong, buttocks.

My hamstrings have always been a mess, got worse after I had an ACL reconstruction. Tripped and snapped the hamstring first day off crutches. Pretty sure they're a large factor in my chronic lower back issues

@dawn16 Static stretching will not help you. Seriously.

You want whole-body stretching, where many different motions are connected.

People think that muscles are simple like rubber bands that just need extra stretching to lengthen them, but this is false.

The tightness is a 'stretch reflex' where the nervous system fires to contract the muscle to protect the body from injury. If the stretch reflex fires early on, there is more leverage and strength to protect the body from getting into a vulnerable position.

The soft tissue of the muscle is more easily repairable than tendons and ligaments, so if the stretch reflex fires early the muscle is more able to fulfill a protective role.

Also the body is a connected whole, so tightness in one area can easily be related to tightness in another area in ways that are non-obvious to a person without knowledge of how these things work.

So you will be far better served by taking a yoga class than sitting at home trying to lengthen your muscles by pushing on them. I am talking from experience here -- I have been working on hip flexibility for a long long time.

There are many different types of yoga, and yoga has many benefits going beyond just simple flexibility, so it is worth trying.

Back