Had 61 y/o roommate in hospital - living proof that bwf rocks

@improvguild Haha I don't think I could tell you much more than I did in the post! I'm going back to college next week, I could only catch him at work at best, but I have to spend this week at home. But if you have any questions that we may have talked about with him, feel free to ask!

@moonlitsonata Detailed routine: exercises, set/rep schemes, rest between sets, time under tension, any day off or training all the week.. Seems to me that your pal is very "convict conditioning" oriented. In the book there's a routine called "supermax" that remembers me what he told you.

@moonlitsonata Wanted to point out that his "no wrinkles", "no grey hair" etc. at 61 has a lot to do with genetics, and million other factors. You can regularly find fat out-of-shape 60 year olds who have very few / no wrinkles, great skin. You can also find pro athletes who have grey hair and crows feet, etc. in their mid 30s.

Yes, diet, exercise can help tremendously in fighting off the effects of aging. But there are some things you will have 0 control of no matter how hard you try. And attributing excellent genetics entirely to lifestyle is way over simplified.

I mean Johnny Depp chained smoked for at least 3 decades (couldn't even make it through an interview with out one) and doing pretty good at 51:

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-c...pp-robert-downey-jr-golden-globes-2014-04.jpg

I know quite a few guys in their 50s who have a history of drug / alchohol abuse, never exercise, eat like crap AND look fantastic.

@moonlitsonata I especially love what you said at the end about training in order to enjoy life. I often end up comparing myself to others or thinking "man I want to look like that guy," but then I just get discouraged because I don't yet. I love the idea of training for yourself alone, simply to be able to enjoy life. Good stuff right there, sir. Thanks for sharing your story!

@abzu I can totally relate! I told him I hate how much muscle mass I lost by being sick for almost a month before surgery and he just said: 'and who the hell cares how you look? just move a bit more each day and you'll get your strength back in no time. looks will come with that.'

@lisalilly Well I'd say that largely depends on body composition and things like bone density. For example before going down with chronic tonsillitis I was around 88-89 kg or ~195 lbs and I still looked pretty slim, while a good friend of mine is barely 72 kg (159 lbs) at 5'11" and he looks pretty bulky.

@moonlitsonata Yea I think a lot of people overlook bone density when judging somebody's bodyweight. Sucks that you have tonsillitis. I had it has a kid and had mine removed when I was 4 or so. I remember waking up in the from anesthesia in the surgery room looking for my parents. I stopped getting fevers after the procedure though. Good luck on your recovery.

@moonlitsonata Mmmm...that last paragraph was like a shot of nitrous. I've worked out for girls and jobs but neither convinced me to stay lean.

Last year was the first time that I weighed +/- 5 pounds of one weight as an adult. In the military I would lose at least 20 pounds twice a year. BWF is the first lifestyle that promised me something I want (flexibility, core strength, control, posture, etc) and began paying off after a short time.

Thank you for sharing this story! Hella motivated.

@moonlitsonata I think it's great you had an opportunity to meet someone at a different point in life. I feel the same as your 61 yo bro. I workout for my future self. However, people have different goals at different points in life and there's nothing wrong with that. Like most things in life, you learn as you live but sometimes it's nice to have guidance from someone with some life experience to give you perspective.

Back