Help please! How much calories should i take for lean muscle gain?Is US navy method correct for body fat?

katay

Age- 30 years
Height- 165cm
Weight- 57kg
Activity- 5 days a week workout

I have belly fat and side fat, i want to lean muscle gain and loose fat.

Body Fat (U.S. Navy Method)-16.3%

Body Fat Mass-9.3 kg

Lean Body Mass-47.7 kg

Ideal Body Fat for Given Age
(Jackson & Pollock)-13.1%

Body Fat to Lose to Reach Ideal-1.8 kg

Body Fat (BMI method)-16.3%

@katay Start with eating around 2000-2200 calories.

100-120 grams of protein with at least 80 grams from complete, quality sources (meat, chicken, fish, dairy, eggs, whey)

Have carb sources which digest you well.

Cook food in quality oil (olive oil, mustard oil, coconut oil)

Eat green vegetables and salad with each meal.

Have a serving of fruit (in limit) once a day.

@te15 Can you help me on this?
Im only eating 1550 calories on a deficit, i started with 62kg, started with 1700 then 1600.

I'm following this guide as a skinny fat, it suggested me to go down to 12% body fat and then lean bulk

But according to this i have a bmi of 20.9

I have to go till 19 or 18.5, go till 52kg and then lean bulk from there

Is this correct as a path, beacuse i wasted 3 months following this guide

I'm going correct or not? As the method you suggest is eating as per my maintaince

@katay It is not the correct path, when you are consuming 1500 cals. Women consume such a low amount. You need to first build up your metabolism. There have been discussions about best bf% for best p ratio and hormonal profile. 12% is not easy to maintain. Above 25% in men is when obesity starts affecting the hormones negatively.

@jenfer A big no for using ghee in cooking.

Has cholesterol which oxidises easily which forms oxysterols, and oxysterols are linked with cancer heart stroke pretty often.

Yes it has higher amount of saturated fat as well.

Can be used as a topping on prantha/roti/dal etc but avoid cooking in it

@jenfer A big no for using ghee in cooking.

Has cholesterol which oxidises easily which forms oxysterols, and oxysterols are linked with cancer heart stroke pretty often.

Yes it has higher amount of saturated fat as well.

Can be used as a topping on prantha/roti/dal etc but avoid cooking in it

@jenfer Saturated fat is stable under heat, and overall ghee has high smoking point.

But cholesterol is not a stable structure, it has multiple double bonds, cholesterol doesn’t wait for smoking point to hit before it starts oxidising.

Also, pretty much no oil is safe considering the typical Indian style of cooking, because we not only cook at higher temperatures but also our cooking durations are pretty long.

On the other hand, given that most of the population is vegetarian, dairy consumption is on the higher end. So by default Indians are having more saturated fats in their diets.

So it makes sense to avoid ghee, especially when lipid profile is messed up.

There is a reason we are number one in heart attacks.

@te15
So it makes sense to avoid ghee, especially when lipid profile is messed up.

I fully agree with this. I also agree with the fact that we Indians already have high saturated fat foods so avoiding butter/ghee is a good idea. But, I am mainly doubtful in terms of using Ghee as cooking oil for normal people who have normal LDL to HDL ratio.

There's a podcast of Andrew Heuberman where he says he snacks on butter. The mind pump show podcast also mentioned multiple times that ghee should be used for high heat cooking.

Now looking further into Oxysterols, I found that the enzyme Cytochromes P450 also oxidizes Cholesterol into Oxysterol. This would mean consumption of any food that have Cholesterol, e.g. egg yolk, will lead to Oxysterol production in our body. Egg yolks in themselves have Oxysterol as well. I also know that consuming Cholesterol is good for the lipids, especially testosterone. Cholesterol is a precursor to most steroid hormons. But, still many Indian doctors suggest avoiding eggs and butter. I know there is a strong correlation with heat patient having higher cholesterol levels, but does Correlation imply causation here? I have a genetic family history of Angina. My father never consumed bad foods, not even too much ghee and butter. Could it be that people with genetic predisposition to heart diseases also get skewed LDL-HDL ratio because of their genes?

I looked into a few studies and all of them just say "may". E.g. Wikipedea says:

"Elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood, especially when bound to low-density lipoprotein (LDL, often referred to as "bad cholesterol"), may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.[8]"

I remember listening to Joe Rogan and Dr Aseem Malohtra where he questioned the role of Cholesterol in the causation of Heart diseases. Lastly, I don't think current medical science has enough evidence to claim that Consuming Oxysterols are responsible for heart diseases, although Serum levels of oxysterols could be positively correlated with heart diseases(causation vs correlation!).

"There are a number of in vivo studies in which investigators have exposed animals to oxysterols through diet or injection, but the overall results are not conclusive." -- https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/biochemistry-genetics-and-molecular-biology/oxysterol

@te15 I also don't get why you suggest eating fruits in limit. They are not calorie dense, like bread. I see them like salad and use them to kill appetite sometimes.

@te15 IMO this is a controversial and ambiguous statement. The fibre and vitamins in fruits also counter obesity. Too much fruit juice might be bad.

"Previous studies of the effects of fruit on obesity have shown that their anti-obesity effects are greater than their pro-obesity effects in most cases, as demonstrated in this review"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5084020/
This study discusses both the pro-obesity and anti-obesity effects of fruits.

@jenfer It is pretty obvious that anything with high fiber content will eventually be hard to consume in excess.

But at the same time, fructose sensitivity is a real thing. Furthermore, excess fiber intake can be detrimental as it may decrease absorption of essential nutrients and also increases incidences of flatulence.

And moderation is always good.

@jenfer So this is incorrect method to calculate belly fat?
I also did a inBody analysis (gym has a machine which calulate body fat) and it came 19-20%

Im confused now which is correct
Beacuse i have love handles and belly fat