Honestly feel like the protein numbers that are given regularly are complete bullshit

@seakingjesus Yes, and what's worth to be mentioned is bodybuilders usually are on PEDs that cranks up their metabolism, + sometimes they use insulin. Their absorption of nutrients surely is far superior comparing to amateur lifter.

@knightforsalvation From what i can gather following alot of people who look at the studies.

Roughly 1.3g per kg of bodyweight works the best. Which works out to 0.6g per pound.

From there it still helps to have higher protein but with vastly diminishing returns.

Like if you started eating 2g per kg of bodyweight you would see very modest improvements from 1.3g per kg.

@yuhforex The study that seemed to have legit methodology showed that the far extreme of the most protein per pound is at .82 g per pound. And the study showed even that's stretching it. 1 g per pound is easy to remember but it's overkill.

@yuhforex Thats about the amount I learned when I did my nutrionist license. It also cited the recommandation of the WHO of around 0.8g/kg for everyday use, and slightly more if you work out.

@nezira for the vast majority of the gym-goers it's the same thing if they weight train. Let's not delude ourselves that if you go to the gym 4-5 times per week you're somehow ronnie coleman. The WHO recommends ~0.8g/kg for a healthy diet in the general population so if you weigh-train to build muscle then 1g/kg - 1.2 g/kg should be more than enough (as long as you eat enough calories). The rest is just broscience and industry marketing.

@mlenadc If we are 60% water, assuming everything else was lean (ie ignoring fat and bone) the. You can see that alone puts you a ove 1g for total weight if the guidance is .7g for LBM.

@shilliane No one factors water during LBM calculation.. you're just so off base you don't even know what you're trying to say. Do you even know what percentage of bone is water? What percentage of muscle is water? fat? No one calcs water in LBM, just muscle/fat (some do a small portion for organs ~6-8lbs)

@dawn16 Got it. But keep in mind LBM calculations are way off as they assume normal muscle mass. For example at my 6'2" 219 they assume I am between 26 and 33% body fat, or 147-162 lbs LBM. When im fact I am closer to 191lbs LBM.

Now for me no way is 134g of protein enough. I need closer to 200 to be optimal.

Keep in mind what is recommended for normies , vs people who exercise vs people who lift 4 days a week with an intensity of 1-2 RIR vs the same but using anabolics is way different.

In general 1lb per lb of mass is a very good approximation for all whether bulking or cutting with slightly lower on for less active and slightly more for the lifters and especially those enhanced.

@shilliane That's highly anecdotal and the entire point of this post, though. There are wildly different recommendations from study to study, and even the ones that people use as gospel for their protein recommendations were not really a good study group.

@dawn16 Exactly you should use the recommendations as a baseline and then refine based on your experience. Your body, your lifting style. Your frequency. Your intensity, your supplements, etc.

That's why when I blast I don't follow the normal instructions of doing it 12 or 16 week blast and needing to have such high doses. At 50 years old I have found doing a 20 week blast where the first 10 to 12 weeks are hard but I really building the base for the last 8 weeks of growth allows me to have some wonderful growth and no injuries whilst using lower dose anabolics.

@shilliane 100 pounds of scale weight: 1 gram per pound of body weight is 100 grams.

But if you're 20% body fat, that's 80% LBM, thus only 80 grams of protein.

You're still hella fucking wrong here

@bronsontaur A lot of you guys are probably also still pretty young, which means MPS happens way easier and is in part still hormone mediated.
Once you are in your mid-30 and later, you need way more protein load to kick off MPS, hence you need more protein overall to build muscle and stay lean.
It’s also easier to store fat when you get older, so in that case the higher protein helps as well.

So keep in mind that the recommendations are not necessarily aimed at a 22 year old who’s started training 2-5 years ago, but include more experienced and older lifters as well.