Honestly feel like the protein numbers that are given regularly are complete bullshit

@tom9831 Well I would try and see what works for me, but going from 1g/lb or 2g/kg of lean bodyweight is a good start, and go for 30g whey or more if the protein source has less leucine for each meal.

Do that for a few weeks and if you see no change, add more protein per meal but keep the overall calories the same.
Quite obviously, if your other macros aren’t on point you need to adjust those as well. If you’re not getting enough carbs for example kicking off MPS will be much harder for a lot of people.

@bronsontaur I knew a day labourer in Costa Rica who’s diet was almost exclusively rice and beans, not nearly enough to hit 1g per lbs of body weight and he was still the most shredded guy I’ve ever seen. I’m convinced that constant medium effort output and a simple diet make the strongest version of a person. Farmers from a couple centuries ago must have been fucking tanks!

@nona777 Ripped is never a problem, but was he overly muscular? If you want to pack on a lot of muscle, you need to provide the amino acids to build and maintain the muscle.
If you have good genetics, you can be ripped and fairly muscular on a shitty diet, but we’re talking about bodybuilding here, you want as much muscle as possible while being lean. To achieve that, more protein is better than less.

@mindlinx Yep... for example kidney/red beans is 120 cals/8.6g protein per 100g cooked.

Now w/ field or labor work a person could expend 2500-3000 cals/day.

If half of those are beans... it's safe to say that it is an intake of 80-90g protein/day. The gas tho... is another problem. May want to ferment to tempeh.

@spreadingthegoodword Central American trad prep methods tend to soak long enough in the warm climate to kick off natural fermentation and significantly reduce anti-nutrient phytates and other flatulence causing substances. Similar in India, SEA, East Asia and Africa afaik. Traditional pre-cooking prep processes also improve protein bioavailability, although tempeh's Rhizopus oligosporus stands out as yielding some of the best overall results at the expense of time and skill required to do it right.

The "beans and lentils eating farting vegan" thing is pretty much exclusively an anglosphere thing because plant based food culture is rather recent snd still in the first few decades of figuring itself out, and has suffered from a weird protein denialism due to the unmet challenges of above alluded to western food prep methods and living a sedentary lifestyles pose for getting WHO recommended minimum 0.8g/kg bodyweight protein requirements from plant sources alone without being in calorie surplus.

@bronsontaur I believe you that you didn't notice a difference. But this is not science just anecdotal. Is there really a big downside for you to eat 0.8 vs 0.5? I personally wouldn't want to risk it. For what? Training hours in the gym and then not eating enough protein seems silly.

@rainbowcookiemonster A lot of people in this thread are basically saying "I don't understand it so it must be a trick". This sub's community used to be so much better.

Edit: What's also funny is seeing the educational responses get downvoted because people would rather believe a conspiracy.

@bronsontaur Everybody’s different. But also, this shit is not nearly as complicated as people make it. I don’t count calories, protein intake, have a set workout plan(I have a set split but I change the lifts based on what I feel like doing) and I was always able to build muscle and strength way faster then anyone else at my school. All I do is go hard in the gym and eat as much real food in a day as I can. As long as you push yourself, the results will come.

@davidandgoliath00 The study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7727026/#!po=38.8889

"a protein intake of 0.52 to 1.30 g/kg BW/d was associated with a mean increase in LBM of 0.06 kg (95%CI, 0.03–0.08) with resistance training and 0.40 kg (95%CI, 0.37–0.43) without resistance training, and a protein intake of 1.31 to 3.50/kg BW/d was associated with a mean increase in LBM of 0.08 kg (95%CI, 0.06–0.09) with resistance training and 0.26 kg (95%CI, 0.23–0.29) without resistance training."

Either I am misunderstanding something or they used a correlation for all studies from 1,3g to 3,5g and found a correlation. This is Not surprising an in line with henselmans article but cant really considered good evidence for very high protein doses.

@atlas2023 They used multivariate-adjusted spline models. The use of multiple models with different adjustments allowed them to control for other factors that might influence the results. So it's actually not bad.