Honestly feel like the protein numbers that are given regularly are complete bullshit

@mybridges Its kinda hard calculating cost of 1g protein for a chicken leg. There are a lot of bones in them. The cheapest chicken breast I can get where I live cost 15.66 per kg which has 250g protein. So 15.66 / 250 = 0.062. I can get 1kg whey with 750g protein for 35.1. So 35.1 / 750 = 0.0468. I probably could get cheaper whey. The chicken is the cheapest. The prices are converted to $. So this proves that I have nothing better to do than calculate protein prices 🌚

@rainbowcookiemonster Chicken breast is cheaper than boneless chicken thighs for you, or is there no boneless chicken thigh?

You can also take the weight of a chicken leg, trim one off the bone and reweigh it and you’ll get a good estimate for how much actual protein is in a kg of chicken leg. It’s definitely going to be cheaper than the breast, and tastier.

@mybridges We don't have boneless chicken thighs 😄.

Yeah def could wheigh the bones after eating. I just ment its a bit hard to make a general statement. My assumption was that some might have more / less bone / meat weight.

The cheapest chicken thigh I can get is 9$ per kg. So if we estimate ~20% bones / skin etc. Its about 10.80 per KG of meat. The meat has more fat / less protein so 1kg of meat has 180g protein. So the cost of 1g protein is 0.06$. A little cheaper than the chicken breast but still more expensive than whey.

@bronsontaur From my recent class of sports nutrition... It honestly said the average person needs 70g per day... This is the one thing that stayed with me... Athletes need much more, and if you have a very physical job you qualify as an athlete but I'm not surprised in your take.

@bronsontaur PMID: 33300582

Muscle mass increases pretty fast as protein intake increased and 1.3 g/kg is the inflection point, but muscle mass increase still went up as protein intake was increased after this inflection point, just at a much smaller rate

@bronsontaur This figure is probably more for elite athletes or people on juice. I also believe lean body mass should be the figure not total body weight. I get around .7 and sometimes a bit lower and have been doing well

@bronsontaur I was thinking about exact same thing today, it's really really hard to get as much as ur weight, like 180g of protein everyday, specially if you have limited diet.

Just imagine how much calories you need to consume to get that.

I don't trust the calories amount they put on protein powders labels, like one scoop that gives you 30g of protein has only 110 Calories ,
When I make my own plant based powder I realize to get just 30g of protein I need to consume roughly 900 calories of protein dense food.

I have done that and my weight went up significantly, so I had cut back.

@bronsontaur I believe the research said .8-1g per kg of body weight not lbs. it somehow got into the zeitgeist that it’s lbs which lead to a lot of protein haha.

So a 180lb person would need around 80g of protein since the conversion is 81.64 kg of body weight. So right around your numbers.

@bronsontaur There are many stories on FDA OF USA that how they are manipulating the whole system. Personally i Don't take extra protein. Rather i focus on eating whole food with all i nutrients in it.

@bronsontaur My personal experience. I'm 43y, 17y of litfing, 82kg, 174cm. For me absolute minimum of daily protein is ~160-165g. Below that i notice strength decrease (verified many times). To progress i need at least 220-225g daily.

I don't eat protein shakes, mainly eggs, meats, fish.