How do I get my cardio/running heart rate down? I already run slowly

zambieboy

I can run 3-5 miles without stopping but my heart rate is in the 180s, pretty much the whole time. Like it will climb for the first minute or so to the 180s and stay there. I usually feel pretty ok during it, not usually like I’m dying or anything. I’m already going slowly, 9-11 minute miles. I’ve been doing this for a few years, my heart rate doesn’t really get any lower. I recently learned I could actually be damaging my heart by doing cardio, which seems beyond unfair, but does anybody know how to fix this??

Would it be better to run so slow that I’m basically walking but still without stopping? Jog until my heart rate gets to 160 then walk and repeat? Stop running altogether? Does anybody have a fix for this?

For the record I played sports in school and I’m relatively active. I can do mountain hikes rated “advanced,” I like to bike, I don’t have any trouble keeping up with hour long Pilates, kickboxing, or hiit classes, although my heart rate is similarly high for those. I know as far as overall health I need to do cardio and increase my strength training, but running is supposed to be the best cardio, and it’s also free and there’s a well kept trial that runs by my house.

F/34
5’4”
114 lbs
BFP 20%, visceral fat 3 (according to a home scale, not an in body machine or dr office)

@zambieboy There is no need to run the whole time.

Break up your running into intervals.

I started with 1 minute running 1 minute recovery walk. I did this for 35 minutes with a five minute cool down for a week. 5 times a week.

Then slowly went to 2x1 running:walking. I keep my pace around 10-12 minute miles and HR 135-145. Five times a week for 30 minutes. 1 week

Then slowly did 2 days 4x1 and 3 2x1. Did this for another week.

Then 1 8x2 and 4 3x3

Basically i would have a day that would be a sweet spot training and the rest recovery. I focus on breathing, pacing, form.

I can now run in zone two for 30-45 minutes. If i fuel and hydrate properly after that i can maintain that place for around 15 miles total. Not amazing but that is more than enough for me.

Note: pace is always between 10 mins to 12 minutes per mile. m42

Note that HR after 30-40 min can increase due to dehydration. Make sure you drink enough water day before, during and after. The more water in your blood the more oxygen your muscles will receive.

@jekwumoore Thank you so much, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I’ve always been around the types of fitness people that say you have to push to get progress. Then someone told me to slow down to control my heart rate but I’m already running slowly… I didn’t know if intervals or pace were a better method. Yesterday I did 4 miles around 10 minutes a mile and I truly felt good, I really was fine, but the heart rate is still sky high so I decided I need some help, haha.

@zambieboy I would also get a chest strap heart monitor. I recently got a running coach and am having similar HR woes and he said the wrist-based numbers can be significantly off. I've been trying to keep my HR like 125-130 which is technically a little higher than my Zone 2, but I've been doing if for about two months and I'm slowly being able to get little patches of actual jogging. There's still a lot of walking, which is tedious and boring sometimes, but I listened to some podcasts to convince myself of the evidence and I'm starting to see some results.

@obet15 What podcasts were convincing to you? If you can re-find them, I’m interested to listen to them.

I have a wrist device and have never looked into chest strap HR monitors. How did you choose yours?

I’m building my ability to do my zone 2 sessions as running sessions with a run/walk program and all this stuff is interesting to me. Thanks in advance!