Why am I so bad at running, but do well in other cardio related activities?

@kmar123 I never got anywhere with running until I learned to SLOW tf DOWN. I was trying to keep pace with my tall, athletic husband at first, but managed my first 3k and 5k solo by slowing down and keeping a consistently comfortable pace. If you're losing your breath, getting cramps, or feeling nauseous, slow it down.

@prophetic774 THIS. SO MUCH. I did some longer distances but it never got easy. My quickest half marathon was 13:00/mile. I stumbled on a video about cadence recently and saw that my average was 145-150. Even like 2 miles didn't feel great. I tried taking shorter, quicker strides and instantly took a full minute off my "comfortable" pace and can go for about 3 miles before even thinking about how much longer I have. My average is now 160-165 cadence (which can still be improved), and even my worst day of running has me at 11:30/mile (usually closer to 11/mile) when previously maintaining a pace under 12:00/mile was a huge accomplishment and a struggle. I have another half coming up next month and I'm confident I'll finish in under 12:00/mile!

@kmar123 I have the same probelm! Also, I'm quite experienced with dumbell exercises and several types of bodyweight exercises like lots of push-up variations so I supposed I could do a pull-up or even chin-up but not even close. I could get a chin-up once, but I was underweight so NOT in a good shape at all. Didn't have even nearly as musch muscles as today.

I figured there are some movements you need to train as they are to be able to do them. Cardio, HIIT and dumbell/ push workouts do improve my endurance and strength together with a routine that make sense - remeber progressive overload and not too much at once or in a short period - but they won't teach me pull-ups without working on them and as well. Get even enough sleep, food and recovery. Remember to eat well even on rest days.

When I try to run outside, I get several probelms
-out of breath and so much slower in comparison to others
-when the air is cool, my nose starts to run so bad I can't breath through my nose. Not nice trying to run without breathing
-but I can't stand hot weather so if it's like +30°C outside I can't go jogging because I'd die. I can play tennis even then, though, because that's something I'm better at
-there's wind, hills and varying surfaces that makes it harder for unaccustomed feet. I do better on treadmill because it's easier inside

If I wanted to run a marathon I'd try to start practicing slowly but surely, little by little and understanding it's a new skill that I haven't practiced yet. It probably takes a while to get accustomed to training outside and getting into the flow but I've understood that when you go running often you can get nice results pretty fast even if your runs weren't really long or fast straight from the beginning. Train with your own pace, not with others, with consistency you WILL get better :)

@savannahcbc

30°C is equivalent to 86°F, which is 303K.​

[sup]I'm a bot that converts temperature between two units humans can understand, then convert it to Kelvin for bots and physicists to understand[/sup]

@kmar123 Very likely this is a combination of running too fast (think of it as "jog and brisk walk," not "sprint and recover") and just it being your first time doing it. It takes time to get used to running.

btw if "choking" is literally how it felt, you might want to look into the possibility you might have exercise-induced asthma. It's very common and very manageable (I have it, ama), but a lot of people don't realize they have it. They're just like "wow why am I always coughing and wheezing after I run in the cold."

ETA: My thoughts on a couple things discussed downthread:
  • Your strength and cardio fitness from other activities will help you to be a better and faster runner. But you still have to learn to run before you can take advantage of those assets.
  • Couch to 5k is okay, but it is not the only way to get into running. I think you'd have a better time with a program that allows you to go at your own pace instead of sticking to specific run/walk intervals. Something like Hal Higdon's novice 5K program can be good. Where it says "1.5 mile run" that means do as much as possible at a slow jog, but feel free to walk as needed without tracking the exact amount.

@kmar123 Running isn’t the same as HIIT. You have to run to be good at running. If you didn’t play running sports as a kid you also might not have the right rhythm/ running posture/ etc. The only thing that might help condition you is swimming.

@moderncrusader I think you can work your CV system a lot of ways, but I can confirm swimming is amazing for it. I took a break from running and switched to swimming for a few months due to injury, and when I came back I easily tripled my distance. It wasn't far in the first place, but it was like swimming gave me an extra lung

@moderncrusader
The only thing that might help condition you is swimming.

Yes, except every other cardio activity will also help condition the cardiovascular system for running. Your heart and lungs don't know or care what sorts of cardio activity you're doing. They're just hanging out inside your torso doing their thing. When you run, you ask them to work harder, the same as when you swim, bike, climb stairs, walk up hills, walk really fast, do burpees, engage in extreme gardening, dance or do anything else that increases heart rate and respiration. Running, particularly running fast and when first starting to run, can be more taxing to the cardiovascular system than other activities. But any activity which increases heart rate and respiration will help training the cardiovascular system for running.

@kmar123 I want to echo what everyone else has said - running can really only be trained for by running, especially a marathon. I picked up running in 2018 in my late 20s and have run two marathons since.

I’m from a place where 10C is a nice warm run this time of year, so my perspective is probably skewed, but outdoor air can definitely affect breathing. The humidity can also play a role.

Your knees hurting is probably a combo of a few things. What is your shoe situation? Shoes are pretty important. The impact of running is different than other cardio and can cause discomfort when you dive right in. If you’re running too fast, you can also make your knees sore. I run 4 days a week, and sometimes my knees still get sore if im doing a speed work run. I have to tell myself to slow down.

But also, going out two days in a row is a lot for a new runner and likely didn’t help. You need recovery for your joints between runs, even if your cardiovascular system is in shape for the work.

I would look up a new runner training plan and follow that. I personally really like Hal Higdon plans, and he has a beginner 30/30 plan, as well as distance specific plans. Couch to 5k is also super helpful for building up that stamina for impact.

@kmar123 I love running and every time I take an extended break it takes a long while to get back. Even as a seasoned multi-marathon runner it takes… 8-12 runs until I feel like I’m enjoying it a bit again. Have good shoes. Start really really slow. Do not go above a slow jog. Go for a length of time (15-30 minutes) and plan to walk at least 50% of the time. If you can walk briskly to keep your heart rate up a bit, then when you catch your breath start to jog again. Do NOT go any further even if you feel good. Increasing mileage too fast is a recipe for hurting your joints.

@slusc1lk You keep doing it until you're good enough to go for an extended period of time (30-60 minutes) without stopping. Once you're there, you have the possibility of hitting a runners high, assuming you're not pushing yourself too hard speed-wise.