How do I train to walk at a 5mph pace for 2.5 miles?

upliftinglove

Im Military, 17 years in and have to do the walk as an alternative to running. Someone decided to shorten our time limit from 34 min to 31.

I need to train to be able to maintain a 5 mph walking speed for 2.5 miles. I have flat feet but wear arch supports (not sure how much they help though) and am 41 years old.

What's the best way to get my endurance to that level and what can I avoid that will help me not get winded so fast?

I have to be able to walk 2.5 miles in under 31 mins.

@upliftinglove Sounds like someone is trying to push on you. You shouldnt have to participate in that sort of PT for a leg injury. Sounds like they are trying to get you to medical out. Fight that, while its not my cup of tea the Chaplain role is very important even the Igors of the world are important.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I have seen guys go the depression route and get a "dead mans profile" where basically you cant do anything all because their injury wasnt deemed debilitating enough.. If they push you, you may be able to go that route but you have to jump through a few hoops and make a few enemies. I mean, it is depressing to have a job related injury and the thing you dedicate your life to is actively trying push you around. Good luck.

@upliftinglove interval training is great. i do have to say that 5mph is right on the edge of a jog. it's hard for me not to break stride into a jog at that speed after a short time

if the speed is important you want your intervals to be higher than 5mph. Also it's good to walk outside often too. Some studies suggest treadmills shorten your natural stride, this losing efficiency

@ryan2240x Any reason why you can't walk 2.5 miles every day (or whatever your schedule allows), track your walking pace, and try to push it a little bit faster every time? Unless you have limitations that already prevent you from walking, that's the most straightforward (and probably the most effective) way to do increase your endurance.

@upliftinglove Do you have to walk it? 12 minute miles is really fast for walking. A slow jog with get you there much easier. You can follow a couch 2 5K program and hit 12 minute miles for that distance (5K is 3.1 miles) fairly easier than trying to walk that pace.

@upliftinglove You can get medically retired as far as I'm aware. You have options. If you are capable of running just train it's going to be the easiest option. If it hurts too much you need to go to medical.