I don’t train til failure, but I’m always fatigued and extremely sore

@jimkbeau Don’t blindly follow any program. You shouldn’t be sore and fatigued all the time.

I’m guessing it’s a six days a week program? You probably would be better reducing the days you train.

@jimkbeau From the thread, it sounds like you’re doing a ton of volume. Flip it for a bit, reduce the volume and increase the intensity. When that stalls, go back to increasing the volume.

@jimkbeau How old are you? I'm 61 and I rest each muscle group for 7 days between workouts. My general workout is the original P90X, and I usually hike with a 20 pound vest 4-5 times a week. About every 2 months I take a full week off and let my body rest.

@jimkbeau Check your overall training volume. You should train very close to failure and do less total number of sets per muscle group per week. If you're training 6 days a week, cut it down to 5. If you're doing 12 sets per muscle group per week, try cutting it back to 10 or even 8. Don't do super high rep sets and base the majority of your rep ranges around 6-12. Increase your intensity per set and reducing overall training volume. It should help

@jimkbeau The way I see it, failure is just an accurate way to measure your training AND your peogress. If you train to failure for 4 sets each time then you know that is how hard you worked, but if u train for 6 sets without failure then maybe yiuve done 5 sets equivalent or 1 set equivalent.

You can still make progress, but you might be working too hard or not enoigh, maybe u did something wrong out if the gym and youve got no ultimate feedback to tell u that you didnt grow.

My advice, start training to failure. Maybe u want to start low, 1 2 or 3 sets, or jump straight into an intermediate level at 8 or 12 sets.

If you dont grow, its either not enough volume ir a bad diet. In my experience if you are experiencing excessive. Soreness, it is bad diet (can also be seen as excessive workload)

@jimkbeau Maybe try swapping out axial-loaded exercises like back squats, deadlifts, RDLs, etc, for non-axial-loaded. Increasing frequency (spread out the volume over more days) can also cure excessive DOMs. Instead of PPL try @sandys or full-body. You can take the exact same program in terms of exercises and set counts and just do it over more days.

@jimkbeau On the flip side of everyone telling you it's too much volume. You could in theory big emphasis there. You could eat, and sleep more keep the same volume and your body could potentially adapt to the program and workload. THEORETICALLY.

@jimkbeau Are you eating enough? Your protein looks good based on some replies but what is your total calories? I feel worse systemically when cutting because of the lack of calories. I feel much better on a bulk because I am eating enough to heal well. Are you on a dedicated phase right now?

@jacobsonofjohn Well I’m usually a couple reps shy of failure, but I never truly reach failure anymore, or at least I don’t think I am, I just don’t feel like I’m training hard enough at all in proportion to the fatigue and soreness I feel

@jimkbeau Hey man, I'm gonna hip you to something that will blow your mind. Watch on youtube, "Mike Mentzer 1st Set Seminar". If you love Isreatel and Nippard, Mentzer's views will be a bit of a shocking mindset for you - you might not believe it. You might think it's too good to be true, but I recommend following it for a while to find out for yourself and experience the difference. It was controversial a long time ago and only somewhat less controversial today as Dorian Yates also followed his methods. I would love to hear back from you after you listen to that seminar and again after you try out his methods.

@jimkbeau No one is going to pay $50 to see Jeff Nippard's PPL program just to help answer your question. When writing out this question, did you really have the expectation that everyone would somehow magically know the details of that program?

Would be smarter to include relevant info like days per week you train, how much volume you do per day, etc, etc rather than just name-dropping what looks to be an expensive training program.

@cubicist All these workouts are easily findable for free, also a lot of people are familiar with Jeff Nippard, he’s a well known science based lifting YouTuber, I also had 0 expectations I just added whatever details I thought of and the people that did know about this routine were able to give me some good advice that’s I’m grateful for, seriously calm down dude.

Also here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KU-HCDaOkwf9dJNMuiC7bHcx_YzhAnnb