I don’t train til failure, but I’m always fatigued and extremely sore

@jimkbeau I have this with hamstrings and only for RDLs or good mornings. Curious what people recommend for this case because I just do each one for 3 sets a week on separate lower-body days

@auxier587 Hamstrings are hugely susceptible to muscle damage, meaning doing any stretches position exercises require massive amounts of recovery.

Also you don't need rdsl and good mornings, both hinges, completely redundant. RDL and a Leg curl and you're good

One day I'll do 1 set of Smith machine RDLs, and 2 sets of standing leg curls

Other day I'll do 3 sets lying legs. 6 sets over 8ish days. More than enough

@dawn16 Thanks for the reply! I do RDLs on lower A and good mornings on lower B. You think I should replace 1 with Nordic curls? I was debating dropping the hinges down to 2 sets and adding 2 sets of Nordic curls each workout

@auxier587 You do any leg curls in either day or got access to some kinda leg curl? You could do that yes. Hamstrings do knee extension and hip flexion, so good idea to include exercises for both, ie. A hingle like RDL, and a Leg curl or Nordic curl

I am also of the opinion that good mornings arent great for hamstrings. Lots of fatigue, lots of stress on lower back to prevent you from bucklimg over, RDLs are great tho, SLDLs even better!

@dawn16 Not at the moment because of the soreness and leg curls are optional/a bonus in my routine. I have access to a Nordic bench which allows for higher reps (something like this), but figured I’d bring them back in once I stall on the hip hinges. Good mornings feel great for me, but I can see why you’d say that.

@auxier587 Well hey if you love em keep doing em, I just personally would never program them. Id suspect your soreness is due to overtraining because of all of the hinging and muscle damage you're inducing! If you wanted to keep both in and add some leg curls, you could cut your RDL and Good morning volume in half and replace the volume with curls.

Oh the joys of programming lol, good luck my friend!

@auxier587 I have the exact same problem. Be careful with it because I recently tore my hamstring during RDLs. For me, I think it honestly comes down to a lack of mobility in my hamstrings that I need to address. The hip hinge of the RDL is extremely taxing and stretching on the hamstrings. Maybe overly tight hammies could possibly be an issue for you too?

@terqiouse Maybe they are tight, thanks for the advice. I actually found when I go too deep on hip hinges it really aggravates one of my piriformis muscles (or some other glute muscle on one side). I’m hoping it will eventually get better so I can eventually add a type of leg curl.

@auxier587 Yep, and that’s exactly where I tore mine. Last set of RDLs, I just went too deep on my eccentric and pop. I’d recommend just going until you feel a good stretch but don’t go beyond it until you’ve loosened your hammies out

@jimkbeau Maybe a blood test? There are various dietary issues, such as an iron deficiency, which can cause the kinds of symptoms you describe. There are also various physical malfunctions that can cause things like that as well if the diet is adequate. A blood test might rule some simple causes in or out.

@jurnymn I like to think I do, on average I’m eating around 150-200 grams of protein daily, sometimes I miss a couple a meals tho, I weigh around 82-85 kilograms at 181 cm

@jimkbeau Maybe get a blood test done to see if everything's good if this persists. I got one done and turns out I'm anemic due to an Iron Deficiency and that I also have a Vit D deficiency lol

@jimkbeau I was going to mention the protein thing but it looks like you got that covered. For me there are a couple other things that help with my recovery, and I really need them because I’m 53.
  1. Give up alcohol. It totally interferes with protein synthesis and fucks up your sleep.
  2. Go to sleep the same time every night, maintaining sleep hygiene. Sunshine first thing in the morning.
  3. Walk. Walking on recovery days really helps me as far as I can tell. I aim for 10,000 steps or more on recovery days.
Nothing sexy here, just basics but it does take some discipline. Following these basics helps me.

@captainiceberg 2 has been very difficult for me but I think soon I’ll actually be able to have a normal sleep schedule, but I’m surprised about 3, I never knew walking helps recovery and I usually never do any cardio, I’ll be sure to give it a try!

@jimkbeau I know walking is not 100% intuitive, but it does help. It increases blood flow and helps deliver needed nutrients (if you eat them) to your muscles. I definitely would not call it cardio. Just walk 30-50 min at a leisurely pace. Hopefully it can be something you enjoy.