How do you get a smaller waist ?!!! I’m stuck

tomarnold

hi YALL - so I recently lost 27 lbs and shed 5 inches off my waist. I’m currently stuck at a 27inch waist and want to get down to a 24-25. The issue I’m having is I am 110 and 5’1 and not willing to lose anymore weight. I work out often and I’m still holding onto a bit of body fat.

Any tips on how to reduce waist size? Is it workouts or dieting or genetics?

@tomarnold For the weight plateau, that’s normal just keep working out and maybe change it up once in a while; increase weights, swap routines. As for the waist. 5 inches is a lot. Congrats on losing that. Might just be your natural body state? Your organs need some space too lol

@midnightsky So true!!’ Thanks so much I appreciate it. I think I’ve been doing the usual - I pretty much walk 5-10 miles a day, eat well, and I don’t think my reps are heavy enough. Should definitely see if that helps. Thank you :)

@tomarnold When I have cut sugar and dairy out of my diet my waist shrinks a bit. Also, some people do maintain a slightly thicker waist than others, we don't all get a perfect hourglass shape. If I were you, I'd just work on quality foods, keep strengthening your core and build a strong body.

@brilliantje i have a huge ribcage and my waist is in that range!! im like what the hell to that tbh bc u would think itd be the other way around?? im also a short torso :|

@tomarnold I’m sorry this isn’t more encouraging but I went from 128-ish lbs to 103 (I’m 5”3) and my waist only dropped 2 inches from 28 to 26. I have a very short torso + a wide rib cage. It’s taken me about a year to accept there’s no level of muscle definition that’s going to give me that little waist!

@richardatf Bingo. Short torso is the problem for us shorties. There’s just not enough space between the rib cage and the hips for the waist to have a chance to get very small

@carl I wish I had a short torso 😩 I’m short with a long torso, which makes my legs look dumpy/wide/extra short. I have the “too short, can’t get it very small” issue with my thighs instead. I guess there’s always something to be upset about - maybe I should be thankful instead lol. I’ve had a 23 inch waist before, but it was too small for me. Not healthy nor sustainable for my body type. I’d looove to get it back to 25 but we’ll see lol it’s been stuck at 31 for ages

@richardatf Damn. This is my life. But getting below 130 is the SOOO hard. I feel like I’m starving eating where I’m supposed to be at to get below it. I’m 36-28-37 with a very wide rib cage. How did you get to 103? I lift weights 4x, run 2x (one as a hiit, the other 5k) and do pilates, yoga and occasionally hiking or other activity on my rest days. Cut drinking to like once a month…

@chris151 What is your height may I ask?

I’m currently 140 and have the same measurements as you I’m 5’5 with a shirt torso and long legs the smallest I ever got my waist was 26.5 and I don’t think it can get smaller than that I was about 20% body fat and I was barely eating tbh.

@chrismauritz Im 5’3 in the morning. Id say I have an in between torso and short legs. I was plateaued at 140 last year for about 2months. I took the plunge and am doing a recomp now and am much tighter looking at 135 than my 135 last year. I’m trying not to focus on weight too much since I can see that difference, but I know I still have at least 10lbs of fat I can loose. I know it’s doubly hard with the recomp tho. Sometimes it feels like I just can’t win 😂

@chris151 I feel you. I haven’t really done body recomp im just starting to try it now. I could loose a good amount of fat but I’d loose muscle too. I have a Renpho scale so I’m able to know how much muscle mass I have. I want to always have 100lbs of muscle but any time I drop fat I easily go under 100 and when I bulk I tend to bulk the same amount of fat as I am gaining muscle. There’s no winning for me I swear 😭

@richardatf Seconded!

This is the same for me and for my other short friends. Even when I was in HS and weighed barely 100 lbs, I still had a 25” waist. I blame it on the short torso and wide ribs - both of which are unfortunately pretty standard issue on us petite ladies. 😊 Unfortunately, unless you are one of those rare people who are short AND hourglass the only way to nip in your waist would be to get plastic surgery.

Waist and corset training could also produce some results but I don’t have the fortitude for all that, especially during the summer. I had a friend who went this route and the key is to get your corsets custom-made and not go overboard. Her waist has decreased somewhat but she definitely doesn’t have as much of a noticeable hourglass figure as someone taller might.

My advice is to embrace your athletic figure. We all have parts of us we would like to change and that’s okay. But you’ve accomplished a LOT, girl. Losing 27 lbs and shedding 5 inches is huge progress. If you want to try and recomp for tighter obliques and abs I would definitely recommend getting with a trainer and dietician. Good ones will be straight with you and let you know if what you’re envisioning is even possible for your body.

One way I’ve found to create the illusion of a more cinched waist is wearing A-line dresses and high-waisted stuff. Good luck and sorry if this isn’t the advice you’re looking for.

@ge0vanyyy This was so helpful and so kind! Thank you so much! I also am not one for corset training - it’s too hard for me but I’m certain it works for so many others!!!! I appreciate this so much! Definitely keeps me motviated

@armour_101 I was really strict about eating 1200 calories a day - weighing/ measuring everything. I also lost the weight over a 6 month period in 2020 during lockdown so no eating out and no inviting friends over for home baking. It also meant no gyms, but I was really active walking for 1-2 hours a day on days off and getting 17-20k steps a day at work (I’m a nurse). I also didn’t drink alcohol and cook pretty much every meal from scratch anyway.

(To note, even working out 4 days a week + a very active job I found it impossible to maintain 103 at 5’3 and still have a social life. I’m at 108-110 now and I’m happy with that compromise)

@richardatf Sounds just like me lol. I got down to 120, doing the exact routine but then I gained 15 pounds after going back to regular eating. But I’m doing 1200 again and it seems to be working on the scale, just gotta wait I guess :/ I’m only 3 weeks in

Back