How do you incorporate pull up works into your routine?

joshgale123

Have read through this subreddit and most advice given on achieving your first pull up are 1) eccentrics 2) volume

I’m currently doing a 5 day lifting split, upper lower PPL. My goal is to do ONE strict pull up/chin up by 2022. Would love some advice how to tweak and incorporate the necessary into my routine.

Should I change my banded assisted pull ups into 4 sets of 3-6 reps of eccentrics?

Is chin up or pull ups better for beginner or greater initial strength?

Adding 3 sets of 3-6 reps of eccentrics on rest days?

any criticism on my routine also welcomed :)

Upper
* OHP 4 x 8-10
* One arm DB row 4 x 12-15
* DB Bench press 3 x 12-15
* Inverted rows 3 x 10-12
* BB bicep curls 3 x 12-15
* DB lateral raises 3 x 12-15
* Banded face pull 3 x 20

Lower
* BB squats 4 x 8-10
* BB hip trust 4 x 12-15
* Bulgarian SS 3 x 12-15
* Jefferson curls 3 x 10-12
* Calf raises 3 x 15

Pull
* Band assisted overhand pull ups 4 x 6-8
* BB rows 4 x 10-12
* Banded single arm lat pull downs 3 x 15
* BB biceps curls 3 x 12-15
* A) Bench pull overs 3 x 15
* B) DB bicep curls 3 x 12-15
* Banded face pulls 3 x 20
* back extensions if I have extra time

Push
* DB Bench press 4 x 12-15
* DB shoulder press 4 x 8-10
* DB floor chest fly 3 x 12-15
* A) DB skull crushers 3 x 10-15
* B) BB close grip chest press 3 x 12-15
* DB lateral raises 3 x 12-15
* Banded tricep push downs 3 x 20

Legs
* Deadlift 6 x 6 (limited weight at home thus increasing volume via sets)
* DB Split squats 3 x 15
* RDL/good mornings 3 x 15
* Bridge hamstring curls 3 x 15
* burnouts A) Hip flexor curls 3 x 50
* burnouts B) Seated calf raises 3 x 50

@joshgale123 I can currently do 2 strict chin ups and I achieved it in about 1.5 months by doing 3 sets of 5 negative chin ups twice a week. I also incorporated other pull motions like lat pull down and rowing machine

@joshgale123 Should I change my banded assisted pull ups into 4 sets of 3-6 reps of eccentrics?
  • 4 sets of 6 negatives is A LOT. Don't be surprised if you can't handle that many. I would recommend starting with targeting 3 reps. I agree that yes, replacing the banded pullups is a good starting place. However, if this is just once a week, then I would recommend finding 1 more day at minimum to add in at least a set or two. You don't need to destroy yourself with high volume, just get some quality reps in.
Is chin up or pull ups better for beginner or greater initial strength?
  • many say chin ups are easier, because of the change in muscle recruitment (more biceps, less lats). Personally, I HATE chin ups. I find them harder and uncomfortable. I avoid them at all costs and prefer pullups hands down. I can rep pullups, I can barely do 3 chin ups. So it's all preference and strength based.
Adding 3 sets of 3-6 reps of eccentrics on rest days?
  • Not a bad idea either if you can.
shamelessly plugging my pullup post

@twinmama Thank you for the detailed response!

Imma change up my first exercise on pull day to
4 sets of 3-5 reps negatives (overhand grip)

And add in
2 sets of chin ups eccentrics 3-5 reps on upper days as a finisher

Throwing in variety and see what feels best!
Will def read your post in greater detail 👌🏼🙏🏼

@twinmama I am nowhere near a pull-up, but my best friend was in the Marines when they began requiring them for women and always got a perfect score on her fitness tests. She's also worked as a trainer and was pretty emphatic that if you want to do a pull-up, train pull-ups not chin-ups -- initially your biceps will be stronger so a chin-up is easier, but long-term your back has so much more muscular potential and you're better off training it.

She recommended the Armstrong Program which is laughably beyond my abilities, but they have both a women's program (still beyond me) and a (genderless) beginner's program (which seems like it's about where I am).

@joshgale123 Chin-ups are easier because they work the muscles on the front of your body, like your biceps and chest, while pull-ups are more effective at targeting your back and shoulder muscles. I can do 7 chin ups but can only do 4-5 pull ups.

To get better at them you need to do them at least 3 times a week. I actually do them everyday just before I lift. Strangely for me I found myself being able to do pull ups after I started incooperating side lateral raises, flys, lat pull downs and hanging leg raises on top of rows. I also find doing negatives to be the most beneficial(Jump on the bar, grip as long as you can with your chin over the bar and slowly lower yourself down).

Also there are techiques to actually do a good pull up or chin up. You are suppose to squeeze your glutes to prevent swinging and to shrug your shoulders to activate your lats. Also having a stronger core helps keep you steady so that you can work the other muscles more efficiently. Hence I said hanging leg raises.

As for your current routine. I personally find it very heavy. That's just my opinion. 7 exercises in a day with 4 sets is a lot. I wouldn't go beyond 5 exercises. Pull ups take up a lot of your strength.

Edit: This video helps a lot:

@meteorstorm
Jump on the bar, grip as long as you can with your chin over the bar and slowly lower yourself down

I feel like when I do this, I literally can do one good rep a day 😩 Like I can do this in the morning and get, say, a 15s negative. Then I'll do it in the afternoon and I legit would only be able to do a 3s negative like my body was still tired from that morning rep or sth.

I keep wanting to find a program with more 'structure' like Day 1 do 3× 70% MAX, Day 2 do 4× 60% MAX, etc but I also keep procrastinating 🥲

@joshgale123 Eccentrics are definitely key in my experience. I had a client recently go from three dodgy chin-ups (palms in/easier) to six solid pull-ups (palms out/harder) in the space of a few weeks, purely through training the eccentric portion of the movement and then adding weight and continuing to train eccentrically.

Scapula pulls are also worth practicing.

@joshgale123 Hey! Doing your first unassisted chin up or pull up is such an awesome feeling, it’s a really fun goal to work towards! In terms of beginner difficulty, a chin up is much easier to achieve than a pull up, so I would start with that. I found best success with band assisted reps, starting with 3 sets of 3-5 reps and working up to reps of 8-10 before I moved to a lighter resistance band, repeat until you are unassisted. Another thing that really helped me was doing chin ups as my first exercise each session, as your lats are incorporated into a lot of your other movements they are going to be fatigued if you leave until the end of your workout. I hope this helps!

Back