Why can I all of a sudden do a strict pull-up?

@jbhoneyangel One thing I'll add is that on any given day, based on a bunch of outside factors, including your sleep quality, level of rest of the relevant muscle groups, food habits, time of day of exercise, etc., humans have been shown to have significant variation in 1RM and capacity tests. There are multiple studies indicating this, though exact number on percentage of variation vary from study to study.

So, it could be that you caught yourself on a particularly good day. That doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying; it just means that now that you know you can, you can work towards higher consistency with the exercise.

@jbhoneyangel sometimes our bodies just hit a point where everything clicks, like strength and technique lining up right. maybe those last workouts or something you did differently recently pushed you over the edge in a good way. it could be muscle memory, strength gain, or even better form. keep up the great work!

@jbhoneyangel Strength gains aren't always linear. You gain muscle , weight loss, get adequate rest, and deload. This accumulation of progress often leads to sudden improvements, such as being able to perform a pull-up without assistance. It shows your consistent training and dedication is paying off over time.

@jbhoneyangel People think you need to be only training pull ups to improve pull ups. So much so I have been mocked on this sub for suggesting just being upper body stronger will help you get a pull up without making a single attempt.

@jbhoneyangel I hit prs for bench and deadlift going from powerlifting to CrossFit even though I was obviously focusing less on those movements. Some people call it the “what the hell” effect. Really what’s happening is the variety of CrossFit is building you up in areas you weren’t quite hitting in your old methodology. I saw something similar happened when I did more strongman lifts and again when switched to mostly kettlebell training.

Now I’m getting ready to do another good old fashioned run at power building (powerlifting/body building) again to fill in the gaps my current training is missing.

@jbhoneyangel The 6 months of CrossFit is definitely the answer however….

If you’re looking for a reason as to why it magically “unlocked” itself today. You’re female. Which week of your cycle are you on? This has such a huge impact on your ability to produce force/strength.

Also did you happen to weigh even a few pounds less today than normal. If you have been teetering on the edge of your first pull up this can be the difference.

Just stuff to consider. Keep working hard and build those pull ups.

@jbhoneyangel I’m voting for the lats. Every so often I revert into the old habit of all arms and the pu go down the drain. If I instead start leaning back a bit, look up at the bar, and start with a scap pull up, they are back, like magic. Perhaps this is was the first time the magic happened for you!