How I build a base phase for QF crossfit athlete

@g2perk The open is simply a low-/medium-skill capacity test. There MIGHT be a small component of heavy barbell, but for the most part it tests energy systems because it has to be accessible. CrossFit is primarily a conditioning program with a small aspect of strength. I’ve been in the scene since 2009/2010 and this has always held true. Early years of sectionals, regionals, and now quarterfinals. To move on from the open you need to have a gas tank, moderate gymnastic ability, and stronger than the average CrossFitter. All of that can be attained in a normal class setting.

@caleb_m I dont disagree with you. But again my observatio is that a lot of people still can not pass into qf.
Some people go to the games in their very first years as a competitor others will struggle to pass into qf. For a lot of people going to QF is their games and there is no shame about it. And just as people that train specifically for the games some people might need specific training just to go for qf.

@g2perk But that’s a construct and narrative built by the individual programming industry. I say this being someone who does individual programming.

There is no shame in having the ultimate goal of QF. But physiologically speaking, everything can be attained in normal programming. There is no need for specificity to succeed in a test of generalities.

@caleb_m Justin Medeiros would need just the regular box programming to make top 100 worldwide in QF final. Some people would never reach that level. It’s when the programmng is insufficient to make you reach your potential that you need individual programming (given equal effort).

@g2perk By the nature of selection, a lot of people won’t qualify for QF. But to assume that all of those people went through the whole year doing 5/6 workouts a week with the necessary intensity and not cherry picking, along with the other aspects like eating to perform, is a false assumption.

But of those individuals that do that, it doesn’t take an extensive needs analysis with arbitrary markers like Fran or a single bout of sixty deadlifts.

It looks like you maybe subscribe to what James and OPEX think is the best model. And it definitely works. But it creates a necessary dependency on the programmer by the client because the over-complication of the prescription.

@caleb_m I personally dont see the difference in someone who is stuck in the 80 to 85 percentile for years or a semifinal bubble athlete trying to reach the games.
Both have goals and some of them might see fit a personalized program.

@g2perk To know that you’d need to know the average error in placing year-to-year because the test is never the same. But, since the test is never the same, you need to zoom out and focus on qualities rather than components.

From QF to Semis even, the big difference is volume. Volume to build a better engine for performance and recovery. Volume to build more strength to handle heavier weights. Volume to build proficiency under fatigue in higher skill movements.

But at every level, quality programming will look ~90% similar for each athlete with the final 10-15% tailored to their needs which is typically not physical capacities unless you are on an extreme (i.e. Sam Dancer or Haley Adams).

@caleb_m
  1. The tests are not the same but year-to-year dramatic changes also dont occur often for an experienced athlete.
  2. The big difference between QF and semis is not volume. Skill level and loads are substantially higher than volume increase.
  3. Dont disagree. 90% of the work is close enough but probably 10% is where you make your difference specially in stuff that are specific for you.
I understand you dont see value in personalized programming and do not see many difference from standard box programming. From my observation someone with a coach usually gets better results regardless of the goal that individual wants to attain.

@g2perk Why dont you do this lovely sport and just enjoy what you are doing?

I do not understand why people are comparing themself to other the whole time and everyone who is able to do 3 double under thinks he/she has to compete. Haven't seen such attitude in any other sport (for amateurs).

To the open - in my opinion the open wods have nothing to do with crossfit. They are extremly easy and are more like functional fitness than actual crossfit.

I guess if you are quite above the average Crossfitter the quaters are easy to make.

In the end my suggestion: follow a solid programming such as PRVN or TTP (or any other good one) and you are good to go.

AND most important thing JUST ENJOY crossfit. you will get better each and every day. no need for all this competition stuff if you dont have the goal to at least go to the semifinals.

@glory2jesus If you see joy in not comparing with others and not competing why cant other see joy in comparing with others and in competing?

I definitely see that attitude in every sport. I've competed in triathlon, weightlifting, soccer, and in gymnastics. I have amazing memories from competing an trying to do better. I also met a lot of amateur competitor who loved competing.

There is no shame in wanting to be better. There is space for everyone: the ones who want to compete and the ones who dont.

@g2perk Ofc there is no shame wanting to be better. I would say I'm above average since I can do all common movements (wouldnt make the games hsw circuit but guess thats some elite stuff) and I want to improve as well but in my opinion all this comparisions and "competitions" are awkward.

I know many people in Crossfit will disagree since they are part of it but why are there all these competitions especially scaled ones like seriously no one wants to see ppl doing knee raises on a competition for example so if you are on this level why do you want to compete? People who are doing CF half a year want to compete. They probably didn't even manage to follow one complete CF cycle of one programming.

In no other sports I have seen such will to compete especially if you just started or can't even do RX. I can't take those people who are doing their qualifier wods 3 times to do like 5 more reps. It just makes no sense. Stick to your programming, improve and have fun with the people around.

If you are a man and snatch at least 100kg i.e. - ok try to get something done even though you will never make it to the games but below, really? I think it's counterproductive for the sports and community coz ppl are always envious even tho they pretend to be happy for you.

@glory2jesus Tottaly disagree. Just because you’re an amateur does not mean you should not compete.

England has 13 leagues of soccer and I imagine everyone likes to compete even in the lowest tier.

@g2perk They are all playing soccer tho? Like the same "skill"/"weight" transfered to CF. They are on another level than pros but they still do the same and no playing on bigger goals.

You can't disagree with me when I say that everyone who does Crossfit for a few months suddenly has the urge to do a competition. I think you gotta get a third party view on our sport.

People are crying when they fail a lift in training or they do "bad" in a qualifier wod. This is just stupid. Ppl are stressing themself too much for no reason instead of enjoying CF and accept that there are thousands of ppl who are just better.

@g2perk This is so interesting. I've made QF the last two years but can never do QF as I don't have the skill/strength to do the workouts. It's hard as someone with lack of experience in programming to visualise how it should be built and what to focus on - really interesting to see it all laid out.

@g2perk Yep. Cardio & grunt work no probs, but heavy weights and I am a gonner. The girls I compete against just eat me for breakfast during comps with those barbells. Annoying as that takes so much time to build and improve & I am not getting any younger!

Back