How much do you pay for your CrossFit gym?

spiritchill

Hi! I have never done CrossFit but have been very interested in starting. I live in upstate NY and the one by me is 180USD/month for 3days a week(group classes). Also, 200USD for the fundamental 1:1 classes (30min X 4classes), that is mandatory when you first join.

How much do you pay for your CrossFit gym? Also where is it located?

P.S. I’m asking because it’s quite a price jump from how much I pay for the weight lifting gym I go to, and would like to get an idea of CrossFit gyms :)) thank you!

Edit: This gym is closed on weekends. Not an open gym.
Any thoughts, tips on picking a CrossFit gyms are appreciated ;)

@spiritchill A friend who owns a CrossFit gym, when asked about why CrossFit was so expensive once said something to the effect of “I offer affordable personal training in a group setting”. If you think about the cost of a gym membership plus training the cost starts to make more sense. This assumes that the coach is an active and involved coach.

$130/month (Canada), unlimited.

@husbandfather That’s actually a really good point! But I like working out more than 3 days/week & I like starting my weekend early in the morning with a workout(this particular gym is closed on weekends) so in this case I’d be joining the CrossFit gym and a regular gym that’s open 7days week🤣
I guess at the end, it comes down to what I prioritize - budget, frequency of the gym being open, the vibe of the gym etc

@spiritchill I do a mix. I love CrissFit during the week because I don’t have time to plan my own workouts. I love being able to just show and good a good workout in. I love the group aspect and the coaching you get during the session, especially with the weightlifting as it’s my weakest point. But I actually started for the gymnastics moves. 3 days a week is £95/pm, but this is lower since moving out of London. It’s the only box where I’m at. In London I was paying £120 for the same. Unlimited at my current box is £115. A gym membership at a cheap gym + PT 2 days a week was costing me £250.

I mix things up with swimming (I’ve got a swim only membership at my local leisure centre), running, skating and callisthenics (home or at a public outdoor gym) on non-Box days. But I’m considering moving to an unlimited membership to make use of the open gym slots and the specialty classes for gymnastics and weightlifting. It’s closer than the callisthenic outdoor gym areas & the specialty classes are so helpful.

@husbandfather My problem with this is that because it’s a class, I spend 5 minutes waiting around or preparing for the next 12-15 minute AMRAP or whatever it is. I spend 5-10 minutes putting away equipment after the strength component. Take 5 minutes to get settled and go through the directions for each component when first arriving. There’s a lot of standing around in a group setting I’m not a fan of.

That being said some gyms have options to be solo for a cheaper price. Solo in the sense that you can’t join the “group” at specific times while classes are going on.

Edit: replace “I” with “we” as in the entire class.

@husbandfather That would be true if most boxes were offering that level of coaching at every class. I've never really seen that. If there are beginners, if it's a more challenging or technical movement ... it's never even attention/ coaching at every class, even among those who try/ are good.

Not to say there aren't many who are great, but just that it's not an accurate analogy or comparison. At most you could consider it small group training... but sometimes the groups are NOT that small.

@maddieh567 Those are fair comments. I’ve been at their gym and he’s stopped me in the middle of a metcon because I was doing something wrong. He’s hired a team of really solid coaches as well who are all really good notch as well. I have had those bad experiences where you ask a coach how to do a movement and they stare at you blankly and tell you to watch YouTube videos.

Just as an aside, this isn’t my home base gym. My wife and I have a home gym and he does our programming and we drop into his gym whenever we’re there visiting.

@mauirayne $85 for 3 times a week or $110 for unlimited. Also no starter program. I jumped right into normal classes, but most classes are 10 or less people. There are typically 2 coaches around or they pair me with a senior members, so I've had a lot of one-on-one support.

BFE, Michigan