How to do HIIT in 3 Steps (x-post from r/HIIT)

@goatsandroses Ah! Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, it would definitely still be beneficial. For example, the Tabata Protocol is only 4 minutes when you don't consider warm-up and cool-down. Also, the Gibala Protocol is only 7 minutes.

You can control these variables to make it work for you and the research shows that it is still beneficial.

@aroosaawooga This is a great question and makes sense.

I specifically put the type of exercises in this order because most of the research that has been done on HIIT has been done on aerobic exercises (cycling and running). HIIT was primarily researched using aerobic exercises because it is easier to control and measure the intensity of the exercise. Also, most people are already knowledgeable about running, cycling, walking and the endurance benefits have been established.

Bodyweight exercises are next on my list because there has been some research on this, but it may be more difficult to keep the intensity as high as you would be able to do with aerobic exercises. The benefit of body weight exercises is that you can still get cardiorespiratory benefits and also strength benefits. Bodyweight exercises can also be done anywhere at anytime, so this gives it another benefit.

Finally, I put resistance exercises because resistance is traditionally used for strength training and building muscle. One of my favorite exercises in this category is the kettlebell swing because it is an all-around powerhouse for building strength and endurance at the same time. There have also been studies done on HIIT and kettlebells. However, I think that resistance training should generally be used for traditional weightlifting and there is a greater likelihood of injury when combining resistance training with HIIT and improper form. That's why it's third.

TL;DR: There are different benefits and you can choose your exercise modality based on your goals (cardio, cardio+strength, strength), access to equipment, and your preference for a certain type of exercise. I personally prefer aerobic HIIT exercises and Kettlebell HIIT exercises.

@howardrf I do resistance things, but with very light weights. For strength training, I will OHP with 12kg dumbbells. For my HIIT circuit, I will use the 10kg barbell, or maybe two 5kg dumbbells. It's much lighter so that I can do 12 reps really fast. The slam balls will be 3-5kgs. The kettlebell I squat with is maybe 12kg. I can do faster, higher reps that way.

I am conscious of recovering from my strength training so I don't want to fatigue any one muscle. If I really hit my shoulders hard yesterday, I don't want to hinder recovery, so I will avoid getting a "burn" in my shoulders with too many reps. That's why I do a circuit... I'll do 12 reps then bend over and do rows, then move on to a leg exercise like squats.

@howardrf I'm curious about the effectiveness of some of these options. There are a number of them that seem like they would never get to the level of intensity required for the claimed benefits of HIIT. Can you really jump rope, walk, do situps, etc. with enough intensity that 8x20 seconds is going to burn more calories than a traditional cardio workout?

...I love tabata workouts, but I don't really count them as workouts (maybe that's wrong, but eh...) ...I use the traditional "Tabata" protocol for 4 minutes to wake me up at lunch time! lol :)

@dawn16 Depends on the person and how you work with the variables.

Treadmill Walking - There were studies that tested treadmill walking on an incline for older adults with coronary artery disease and it was still beneficial. I can find the studies once I get back.

Jump ropes - if I am doing double-unders or high knees, my heart rate immediately shoots up and I cannot sustain it for a long period of time. The motion is similar to running in place and the speed can determine whether it's high intensity or not.

Sit-ups - You can try doing weighted sit-ups, but I agree that you are not going to get the same benefits as sprinting or cycling. I like to recommend aerobic exercises over bodyweight exercises because it's backed by research, but some people prefer bodyweight exercises and don't have access to the necessary equipment.

Edit: added in Treadmill Walking*.

@howardrf On treadmill walking, it's a good point that some of these are aimed at different populations than the typical member of this community. Coronary artery disease patients would not be able to get to the intensity of the Tabata study, but they wouldn't need to in order to get significant benefit.

@dawn16 Yeah that's a good point.

I love walking in general and think it should be used by everyone. It's a good break and can be done anytime you are taking a break from work or studying. Walk around the office or your school. Take the stairs. Park further away from the entrance. Speeding up a little bit also helps get in a mini-interval workout throughout the day.

@mindforchristmomof3 For farmer's walks, you grab two dumbbells or kettlebells (one in each hand) and just walk. You can increase the intensity of the workout by increasing the weight or working intervals and decreasing the resting intervals. I just walk a set distance with the weight, set it down, rest, then repeat.