How to eat 190g of protein a day as a vegan on a calorie deficit?

@iowakid8401 There really isn't a consensus on protein. There's the low protein crowd, there's the mid protein crowd, and there's the crazy high protein crowd, all seem to have pros and cons. If I were you I'd simply try and limit my calorie intake to a reasonable degree, get as much protein as you can with those calories if you want to see results lifting, but don't obsess over it.

The bummer you'll find is when you step on the scale, you may have lost body fat, but gained muscle and see no results, and the results will be hard to see in the mirror on a weekly basis as well, and that can be psychologically hard to sustain, even excluding the tedium of figuring out the exact caloric and protein needs to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Just keep lifting, get your protein, eat less, and don't fret too much about the weight on the bar... you'll see better strength gains once you start focusing on that completely at a healthier weight. Sounds like you're in a mode right now and that's great, keep on keeping on

@iowakid8401 Hi friend,

This is completely doable. I’m consistently getting 90 - 100g on a 1,100 - 1,300 calorie (I’m a female) and idk what’s up with me but lately all protein powder makes me nauseous so i left it out altogether until further notice. This is what I have learned:
-Track your calories (I use myplate)
-Bulk your meals with vegetables
-Get a kitchen scale and/or measure your portions with cups.
-Stay away from nut butters while on a deficit. Sure, they have some protein but the fat content adds up quickly. Opt for something like PB fit if you absolutely crave it.
-I’ve switched from soy to almond milk for this time.
-Use water instead of oil.
-Avoid intentional fats.
-Learn a good seitan recipe and make it for the week.
-Yves bologna slices are your friend and so are Hodo yuba sheets.
-Avoid store bought hummus, make your own and use the aquafava instead of oil to emulsify.
-Read all labels, when choosing protein, try to stick to those that have under 2.5g of fats per serving.
-Beans and lentils are your friend, mix them with your grain of choice to bulk up your meals and boost protein.

It’s a pain in the ass. You’re gonna want to scream sometimes (if you love food like myself), but when there’s a will, there’s a way. I hope you find this helpful and may the force be with you 🫶🏼

@fiddlegal Any reason you don't recommend it? I ask because that is about what I am doing so just curious if there is something bad that I am not aware of? I know I don't need that much protein but I find it has been helping me lose weight by only eating shakes during the day which kills my appetite and then a single dinner meal at night.

@iowakid8401 Huel- 6 scoops gives you a 120 grams protein and 1200 cals, not only that you get all your essential nutrients then eat what the f you want for dinner to make up the cals. Easy

@iowakid8401 Here are my opinions on vegan high protein sources that I've tried:

Maybe the easiest and most convenient way is through protein shakes. Pro: you can get them with a complete protein profile (i.e. it has all the different kinds of protein that you need; I use a rice and pea blend)

Con: It's not really yummy/a satisfying meal, and it's a bit on the expensive side. But a convenient way to add those extra grams of protein if needed.

Dehydrated soy protein (kind of like a fake meat) has a a great ratio of protein to carbs/fat, and is a complete protein. It is cheap if you buy it at the right places. Brands that sell it as vegan life style product are like twice as expensive as my local asia store.

Con: There are discussions about negative health effects of too much soy, so most people don't make this the basis of their diet. I have it every one in a while.

Neutral: You have to prepare it, but it's easy to prepare. You have a lot of control over the taste and nutrients this way.

My absolute favorite is seitan! And by that I mean home made seitan. (the store bought stuff is more processed, lots of stuff added, usually fats and sugar to make it more yummy, and is more expensive). High protein and low carb/fat, relatively cheap to make if you know where to buy it. I found a (baking supply) seller who sells wheat gluten (the main ingredient) in bulk. Your local bakery might also be able to hook you up. Again, vegan life style brands will sell "seitan mix" (literally just wheat gluten) at two or three times the price, or more. I found a couple recipes (youtube) I like and I make really yummy chorizo, kebab etc. at home, comaparble to those store bought veggie meats, but healthier and cleaner.

Con: It's a bit more work. You gotta look up recipes, mix the seitan dough and cook it. But if you make large amounts, you can make enough of it for a week or more in one cooking session. Seitan is NOT a complete protein. It lacks the amino acid lysine, so you'll need to add some other source of lysine to your diet. Different beans or seeds are good, look it up. I personally add beans directly to many of my seitan recipes and I am good to go.

(Seitan is pure gluten. Not for people who are gluten intolerant or just can't hav it. Some people are sceptical about gluten in general, but not me. I eat my gluten meat and never had any issues!)

tl;dr: If you are willing to do a little bit of cooking, seitan blows everything else out of the water imo ;)

Edit: I love tofu and tempeh, too, but soy protein and seitan are just cheaper food for every day

@iowakid8401 You're 2 weeks in, you don't need 200g of protein, and I eat that amount of calories while being basically bed ridden...

Eat healthy food that's high in protein (lentils, beans, oats, quinoa, tofu, tempeh) combined with stuff that's low caloric density (vegetables, fruits, ...) and that's it

@iowakid8401 2 bricks of organic tofu from nasoya is 140g of protein right there. Then two protein shakes with soy milk is around 50 each. Then snack in between.

This is what I do 🤷

To eat 190g of protein daily as a vegan on 2000-2300 calories, focus on high-protein, low-calorie foods like tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentils, chickpeas, and protein powders. Incorporate leafy greens and other low-calorie vegetables. Avoid high-calorie vegan junk food, and plan meals carefully to hit your protein target while staying within your calorie limit. And use Shilajit Resin to boost energy

@lordane [Yesterday this was my training results ]
  1. Held up on rings 20 seconds
  2. Smith machine Low Bar Squats 3x7 ( 55 lbs )
  3. Overhead press 4x7 ( 55 lbs )
  4. Bench press 6x7 ( 55 lbs )
  5. Leg press 1x12 ( 55 lbs )
  6. Tricep machine pull downs 5x6 (70 lbs)
  7. Chest machine 4x6 (70 lbs)
  8. Lateral raises 1x8 (15 lbs)