How to improve my cardio?

@kara1991 I’m shocked I don’t see this response yet - ya gotta do more cardio, period. I would recommend 30 minute sessions minimum of 5 days a week, gradually increasing to 45 min, then 60 min. Specificity is a main tenet of fitness: in order to get better at something, do more of it!

@kara1991 Keep doing your classes maybe increase to 3/4 times per week if you can.

Something easy that really helped me was walking more, it's low impact, helps recovery and definitely helps you get fitter. 30 to 60 mins daily is my sweet spot. Most of my walking is zone 0 or 1 but definitely helps.

Some note just jump in with the team wods, most people don't care about your ability. As long as your trying and having fun.

@kara1991 Many people have found success following Aerobic capacity with Chris Hinshaw. Or Capacity WOD.

Most good athletes don’t actually get annoyed with novice athletes who are putting in the effort. I’m a seasoned CF athlete now and the only time I get annoyed with new partners is when they are constantly apologizing for doing there best. You are putting in the work and that should be enough for any good partner

@kara1991 Directly to your question: Zone 2 cardio should solve most of your issues.

As a beginner crossfit you might see big improvements from your cardio in the next months. But eventually that will stop. I would recommend zone 2 and hardly that is any way around it. I would recommend anywhere from 2-3x/ week 20-60 mints (1-3h/week).

Usually the biggest impediment is time or finding the activity too boring. I've got some tips if you want.

@kara1991 Couple people here mentioned zone 2. I can not shout it loud enough. Buy a heart rate monitor. Find your max. Calculate your zone 2. And then just sit on a bike and watch a movie for an hour keeping your heart rate in that pre calculated zone. It’s going to feel dumb at first. But a few weeks in you’ll see.

Bonus: get a monitor that allows you to put in your bios and calculates calorie burn. Huge motivator for me.

Back