How to motivate myself again

igortachkent

Okay so like 5 years ago I committed to this job and while working there, I walked about 10-15 miles a day I lost 70 pounds and felt great but the hours were long and I was never home affecting my work life balance… I recently just got a new job closer to home and better pay but I don’t walk at all anymore. At first I was walking like 3 miles but then my wife got used to having more time at home and yea so I don’t workout at all anymore and I’m gaining the weight back … any tips or suggestions y’all have to motivate yourselves to get back into it and stay on track?

@igortachkent I'd focus on your diet, since you're eating too much for your activity level.

Motivation is a fleeting bitch, you just gotta build habits and stick with em. Also it's about prioritizing your life and making time for shit. Maybe less Netflix or gaming or doom scrolling and fit in some walks and lifting.

But also, why not go for walks with your wife? It'll be healthier for both of you.

@dinafrancis I eat fairly healthy now for that’s all she shops for lol but prioritizing is my problem right now where as I work 10 hours a days and still come home to help my wife and kids around the house. Who is a SAHM which is no problem but trying to give her more alone time and help picking up more slack, leaves me no time by the end of the night. Also she doesn’t want to walk with me for alone time, she wants more alone time

@igortachkent Totally makes sense, it can get real hard with long work hours + family at home, you have responsibilities on the plate and finding exercise time can get challenging. What I would do if I was in your shoes, is build a little at home set up, something you can use in the garage or in the living room, whatever space you have available to you. You can get a lot done with a couple of dumbbells, even a kettlebell, even more if you have both items. Resistance bands also help and are super convenient to keep around and pick up and use.

I echo what everyone else has said about discipline vs motivation also, motivation really comes in waves, some waves are huge and some waves are barely a trickle in the water. Discipline and habit forming is the only way to get consistent with workouts and exercise. You can make the process easier by doing what I recommended above ^ and building around what you have available to you, what time and what space. It’ll be a lot easier and realistic to get a 40 min at home workout done with some weights you picked up at Walmart, then it would be to commute to a gym and get a workout in, and then commute home.

This is a good way to start, and get the habit and discipline formed. Don’t bite off too much too soon, work your way up there. Mentally it’s important to remember what you want and what you need to do to get there, that’ll hopefully push you along as well.

Best of luck to you and you got this!

@igortachkent Just have to practice discipline. It’s common to lose motivation to keep working out but that’s when you tell yourself you’re going to do it even if you necessarily don’t want to.