How to tell if I’m normal/strong/weak for my size

neptune21

Kettlebells have been a regular part of my routine for a while now, but only in the last year have I really started to focus on them.

Since I don’t go to a gym, or have a workout buddy, I never really have a gauge of where I’m at in relation to the weight I’m using, if that makes sense.

For reference, I’m a 5’ 7” male at about 155lb currently. I guess without being too wordy, here are a few of my “workouts”: all with a 20kg bell unless specified otherwise

500 kB swings - EMOM 10 swings on the even, 15 on the odd(bonus ones are acceptable) so usually finish the 500 swings in just under 40 min with my fastest being 32 min.

Dbl strict press, 5x5 with 20kg bells

Bent row-deadlift-clean-snatch complex with 20kg bell, 10 reps per side with 90-120 seconds rest between sets.

So my question for r/kettlebells is, am I above average, average, or below average in strength based off these routines? Would love any discussion or thoughts from others who have felt similar.

Thanks!

@neptune21 "The day you started lifting is the day you became forever small, because you will never be as big as you want to be" - Dom Mazzetti.

In the past, I've been bigger and stronger then I am now. I've been more shredded. I've been able to run a lot further and faster, too. But that's ok. It's all arbitrary and based on what I was working on at the time.

My advice, pick some personal goals and go after them, don't worry about how you measure up to anyone else.

@jackier293 This is the way.

The people you probably consider strong have likely gotten that through having a goal, having a plan and being able to stick with it despite whatever else was going on around them.

If you want an actual answer- the average person is pretty weak and lazy, so just by virtue of training you are probably in better shape than most people.

It’s worth repeating, if you find yourself consistently being the strongest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room.

@neptune21 Everything said here is true. It is all arbitrary. Anyway, since it is, here's my opinion on the subject: once when a man (woman) can strictly double press 32k (24k) bells for 5x5, they're strong in my book. How arbitrary is that?

@neptune21 Your training seems very specific to you and thus might not yield good points of comparison. There are some random "standards" floating around out there that some find helpful (i.e. 1/2 bodyweight press is one) - but the other commenters have it right. Be 'bout the journey - not the destination.

If you want a single point of comparison and maybe some motivation - I'm more of a cardio guy, 10 lbs lighter than you, in the wrong half of my 30's and would be doing everything you listed with 24-32 kg bells.