hybrid functional strength programs? also... avoiding the big 4 nonsense

sharkbait13

I feel like some of the fitness subs are some combination of toxic or stupidly dogmatic when it comes to barbell squats, deadlifts, bench, and OHP as the solution to all strength and mobility issues. I bench, am working on single leg kb rdls, and do belt / goblet squat though to be clear. I see plenty of unbelievably fit, strong, and able people who do NONE of those things as well.

When I search for threads on 'functional strength' I see a lot of people dismissing it wholesale, acting confused about the definition which is pretty clear to me - the type of movements you would do every day like picking up a heavy oddly shaped object at a not ideal angle, twisting to place it somewhere. A couch, a kid, a TV, up a flight, down a flight, etc.

So while I love the weight training I've been doing over the past 3 months, and I intend to keep doing it for life, I want to work in some more programming that I think is practical for my non-gym hobbies - gardening for example. I still want to get to 2 plates on my bench but I also want to be able to easily run a 7.5 minute mile.

Have people found any great well-designed programs along these lines? Something which mixes in progressively difficult (or overloadable) twisting motions or "transverse plane" movements?

My likely plan is to just do a PPL 3 days a week and then my other 2 in the gym do cardio and more of these functional movements.

@sharkbait13 "while I love the weight training I've been doing over the past 3 months"

You're very, very new to weight training. I'd honestly focus on what you call the nonsense moves because you will get incredible bang for your buck from them. If you try and cobble together your own programme based on your limited knowledge of how your body responds to weights you will end up with something suboptimal, likely mostly useless and potentially risky in terms of injury.

@nelliebly This isn't the first time I've lifted consistently, but I've been back at it over the past 3 months and take it for sure more seriously than I did in my 20s.

I've a back injury, I'm not doing barbell squats.

I specifically asked for a program which worked for others, but putting that to the side, I can put together my own program. I'm not entering body building competitions and if you're not optimizing for the moon I don't think it is that hard. The general concepts of progressive overload, periodization, muscle groups and their recovery time, fatigue, etc, etc are really not that difficult to understand.

I have a lot of knowledge on my own body as I've been occupying it for 40 years. I feel like most people on Reddit assume that people are complete non athletes who've been sitting in front of a desk their whole lives lol, not saying that is you, but that is the general vibe I see. I sort of get it because I think most people lift with a lot of ego, bad form, and don't really think about if they are engaging the right muscles, etc.

@gilcimarlp
Then you should know training to lift awkward things at weird angles isn’t safe.

It's perfectly fine to lift awkward things at weird angles, that's basically the entire sport of strongman

As long as you use an appropriate starting weight and build up it's fine

@sharkbait13 I honestly can't think of anything more functional then being able to put something above your head, being able to sit down and stand up, being able to bend over and pick something up, etc.... (OHP, squat, and deadlift) That being said, I believe bench is the least functional movement so it's kind of funny that's the one you stuck with.

To be fair, by the definition of functional, I would say any Strongman training is as functional as it gets. You won't find them without compound movements because they build the base for functional movements.

Sandbag and odd object carrying literally represents what it's like to carry something in real life. Odd and weird lifts are the definition of functional.