hybrid functional strength programs? also... avoiding the big 4 nonsense

@mikedelmar Sorry, I totally messed up my last reply out of annoyance in general to the reactions to my post, sorry you caught that. Yes, I would like a program which mixes in athletic movements. I got recommended one which I'll maybe use once I read more about it and after I plateau on my current program which I think is 4-6 weeks away.

From the recommendations yesterday and my own searches I've found that I'm basically already naturally starting to do some of the stuff I needed and wanted - lunges, single leg rdls, explosive step ups, single arm (suitcase) carries and that I can mix in some more stuff like cross body kettlebell swings (carefully), turkish get ups (which I've done before in classes but not on my own), and in general more single arm or single leg kettlebell exercises. I'm also going to mix in nordic lunges which I've seen from a ton of sources and think I could benefit from. I'm going to do this type of work 2 days a week with cardio (bike + sprinting + sled pushes) and PPL 3 days a week.

At some point I'm going to just do maintenance on lifting and get back into something resembling endurance cycling form so I can go on a short tour late in the summer.

@sharkbait13 I do 3 or 4 if i have the energy of the following. I'm increasing weight slowly also on dumbbell exercises. I also change things up if I get bored. I find this a pretty fun, hard training session. Takes around 55 minutes on average.

250 skips
12 curls
20+Sven press
20 sit ups
10 pull ups
12 shrugs
12 calf raise
20 leg rais with a torso raise? Not sure what it would be called.
20 piah ups
20 seated dips
250 skips
Plank for a minute to bring breathing down
30 seconds for a drink and....

Repeat.

I finish with 3 sets of 15 seated squat and 10 super set pull ups.
Occasionally I'll do a particular exercise until failure for something different at the end. Chest press, high road till fail.

I like it...... People look at you funny though.

@kasia7777 I've been thinking about warming up for bench press with chin ups or pull ups actually. Get your back warm first, etc.

What you're describing earlier though is sort of a high intensity interval style thing. Maybe I should be doing that again once a week...

Don't like sit ups, don't think it is the best exercise tbh but still point taken.

@sharkbait13 I guess it is a form of interval training more so. I chose the exercises as I thought they would assist more with functionality when I'm older rather than bulking up. Though I am quite muscled/toned from doing them. I don't eat to get big though.

I have this idea about lifting my breathing rate up considerably and then lower back down to benchmark in a reasonably efficient period of time. Same as heart rate etc.
With body temp I also regulate quickly with eating an ice block in the shower. Straight after(I have a chilled shower going into my new bathroom so I can maximize heat and cold shock protein) as I think that is a good thing for my body.
Being able to adapt rather than cruise along for longer period.

So I mixed the exercises as up so there's a bit of a break in between something that is on the high-end of exertion without actually having the rest itself, just working another muscle. Situps and calf raises, leg raise etc are a good rest.

Agree with situps not being very good if you slouch your back or form isn't good. I don't have any issues however as i hold a tight core when doing them and posture is good. I don't know what would be more efficient on the bench for a core exercise.

@sharkbait13 I've had my best results in a long time by combining a calisthenics program with a heavy 5x5 program on alternate days.

I followed this one because it was free for the calisthenics and I am now doing things at 42 I never thought I could before:
https://www.barbrothersgroningen.com/calisthenics-workout-plan/

For the 5x5 portion, i do two heavy 5x5 movements per body part/group on the alternate days from the calisthenics program so I can keep my muscle mass and strength high.

@sharkbait13 I like pull-ups. They tend to stretch out my back which feels really nice. A nice dead hang with leg lifts is a great way to work the core in many ways. Progression is fairly simple with a weight belt or one could work their way up to a one arm pullups. Archer pull-ups are a great way to work up to that one arm pullup. As far as programs it’s quite basic. Just sets with low reps and lots of rest in between. Most people can’t even think of doing one rep. But it’s possible.

Dips are great too. They hit the lower chest, tris, and shoulders pretty intensely. They nuke my triceps though so it takes a little bit to get progress.

One weakness or drawback for most bodyweight exercises is that you pretty much have to have incredible grip strength. It’s nice to have if you got it but it’s rare in this modern age. Most warehouse workers I’ve met have pretty great grip strength but other than that most people just avoid body weight exercises because they don’t have the grip strength for it yet.

@sharkbait13 Mountain Tactical Institute has a program called Chassis Integrity that you may find fits your needs. It consists of 10-20min "grind" sessions that have you constantly moving, but not overexerting. There are a lot of weird non-standard movements in the program ie sandbag keg lifts, kneeling and standing founders, 1-sided deadlifts (light weight) and that's just the tip of the iceberg. When I was using the program I'd use a session as a workout finisher on my conditioning days.

@harvest28 Thank you for this.

I love the ideas and theory on this page and I want to give it a try on my bonus gym day (don't have a regular program on that day).

I completely forgot about sled pushes. Our treadmills at the gym have a sled mode. It's good stuff.

My concern of course is as usual, loading my spine with snatch movements. But I can do it really really lightly and I'll be fine.

It's sort of CrossFit-esque tbh, but that's fine, that isn't a dirty word to me.

Going to treat it like a buffet, take what I like, leave the rest.

@sharkbait13 No problem. At the end of the day you gotta do what works for you. I would also recommend the Tactical Barbell books I and II if you're looking for a flexible strength and conditioning program to pair with the MTI stuff.

@harvest28 Thank you, you get it.

and I'm looking at the template for tactical barbell on liftvault right now. I just checked out the eBook from the library (3rd edition, book one)

@sharkbait13 Some good function strength exercises
Farmers carries
Hammer curls with a rope keeping your knuckles pointed up
Static holds or isometrics
Hand gripper
Thick handle wrist curls