I‘m tired of not getting better at pull-ups

greg67

I‘m stuck at 3-8 max reps and the only thing that helps me increase reps is weight loss. I even once or twice got to 10 reps (last ones obv being not with a good form) when I lost the greatest amount of weight.
I want to progress. I‘m stuck in this rep range for 1.5 years or so. I‘m tired of just trying and failing. I used bands to no avail (maybe using them in the wrong way?), I initially got my first chin up by doing negatives but then didn‘t use negatives much more. I‘m seriously considering trying to add weight just to try something different but it doesn‘t really make sense with this low amount of reps, right?
I eventually want to muscle up, so just ditching pull ups is not an option, I guess.

Sorry, I‘m just very frustrated.
24F, ~60kg, 167cm

Edit: split ABCABC rest, so 6x/week -> 2x/week pull ups
Upper (supersets with 3x pike push-ups & pull-ups as first one)
Lower
Core/cardio/handstand focus

To clarify, my upper body days look like this and I do supersets because I don‘t have much time:
Superset 1
6x banded pike push-ups
max pull-ups

Superset 2
max ring dips
12x rows on rings

Superset 3
8x push ups
12x rear delt flyes on rings

I do every superset 3x, then move on to the next one
Rest 3min between each superset
Speed is not consciously altered, so no pausing/explosiveness or anything

Also thank y‘all for giving so much advice :D

@greg67 How many times per week are you training them?
I've been focusing almost exclusively on weighted pullups (3-5 rep range) and did a Max bodyweight test the other week just to see and suprised myself with 18 reps (62kg F) I find I have to train them 2-3 x pw though or they get worse/plateau

@greg67 I started supersetting pull-ups with my main lifts (which require 3-5 minutes of rest anyway). As rest time increases due to supersetting, I am getting more total reps. It may not be optimal for the main lifts, but now I'm achieving around 50 pull-ups per workout (in 6-7 sets), and I finally broke my long-lasting plateau. Just something to consider; perhaps you could try the same approach

@roman1982 Interesting. I already superset on upper body days and do three supersets of the same exercise, then do other exercises like rows+dips, rear delt flyes+push ups.

@jah138 Pull ups only on upper body days, so twice per week I do three sets of pull ups, so six sets per week. I also do rows on upper body days.

@greg67 Right. Now I get it. What usually helps when plateauing is a) increase volume, b) deload (when overreaching is likely) c) train harder (closer to failure). Have you tried any of that?

@jah138 Deload: yes, have been sick recently and took quite some time off to fully recover.

Train harder: I always train to failure, so…

Increase volume: this would prolly the way to go. I‘m just now torn between adding weight or adding volume. Both approaches have been recommender within this comment section.

@greg67 At this point both is possible. If you're all about rep numbers volume would he the first choice, but weight is valid too.

Do you train to technical failure or estimated failure?

@equestria I currently do 2 sets with weights followed by 2 supersets pull-up/scapular pull up sets. 3 times a week.

How long have you been training with weight? I only started this 2 weeks ago.

Edit: added more info.

@greg67 Progressively overload until you can hit 5, you'll gain strength by doing the 3 and once you hit your 5 with the extra weight, you'll see how easy bodyweight becomes