German gymnastics team, tired of 'sexualisation,' wears unitards at Tokyo Olympics

@awc1300 Or, maybe these women and girls want to cover themselves because they have experienced sexual abuse in the industry.

Personal experience: after being assaulted I stopped wearing as revealing of clothing because it was more comforting to me.

@mark273 That's your choice. They should also have a choice. I think we all agree on that here.Dressing to comfort and ability level should be the standard. It shouldn't take or be compared to someone doing something horrible because of what someone wears to compete.

@bonner Yes. Agreed. Bringing up Nassar was valid though because many of them may have encountered the same and may want unitards for that reason.

The double standards in the Olympics is horrible

@acer621 Good on them. Sports uniforms should only be gendered to the degree that they need to conform to male and female bodies. In plenty of sports, there are minimal differences between what the men and women wear, even sports that legitimately require skin-tight gear, like swimming and weightlifting.

@acer621 Damn. It's the 21st century, why are we STILL talking about what women should or shouldn't wear?

Like, this should have been a thing in the 60s or 80s and it shouldn't matter now if women wear leotards or not.

But good on them.

@acer621 Personally, I love this. I think it's a great statement, the unitards look beautiful, and take nothing away from their talents.

Would love to see more of this on other teams as well.

@acer621 Good for them.

Those uniforms aren't for you, assholes. They're for the comfort of the gymnasts who need to be able to move like crazy.

Also GO SIMONE BILES, THE GOAT!!!! :D

@acer621 Wow, this is awesome!

The unitards actually look great and I really can't see any reason why they'd be inferior or a disadvantage compared to regular leotards from a competition/judging perspective. I hope this sets a precedent for other sports!

@katie4469 I think there are grippy leggings for people who do pole dancing (athletically), so they can wear long pants but still hang onto the pole. Im sure that if/when there’s a market, someone will sell something to fit it.

@katie4469
I really can't see any reason why they'd be inferior or a disadvantage compared to regular leotards

My only thought is that some of the women do a few things on the beam that seem to involve a leg grip and this might be difficult to grip/easy to slip, or vice versa - could potentially be considered an advantage.

But I’m also gonna say that the gymnasts in question probably know a hell of a lot more about what they need out of their outfits than I do, and I hope this continues.

@lovedaisies I was listening to something from one of the gymnasts (I believe it was Ellie Black on The Gist of It pod cast) talk about it and she mentioned grabbing onto her knees being a problem, but that she had worked for local permission to wear shorts during competitions.

@lovedaisies I’m a former gymnast and when it was cold used to train in leggings and can say for me personally and my teammates wearing leggings never hindered performance. I’m glad the German team is out there doing their thing in what’s comfortable to them. I also hope it continues!

@lovedaisies Reminds me of the scandal with the full body swimsuits that were big in 08(?). I, for one, can't wait for the scandal where the unitards are made out of artificial sharkskin for extra grip.

In all seriousness, I'm glad of the change. I don't like feeling uncomfortable watching the Olympics with family members.