I’m a chubby middle aged woman and I would like to know my plan is sound

sofialo09

I eat too much: that’s why I’m fat. I know this and I’m working on it. :)

I’m quite healthy but weak, and I want to be able to hike, bike, and run strong. I’d like this sub to approve my 99% no-equipment exercise schedule which is the RR with a touch of YAYOG to replace a couple of the opening exercises. Would you be so kind as to lend your opinions if this is a smart weekly plan for my goals? Thank you so much in advance. ❤️

GOALS: fat loss, and muscle retention w/newbie strength gains.

M/W/F:
STRENGTH TRAIN
(pairing and reps same as RR)
- Dynamic warmup
- Pair 1: Assisted Let-Me-ups (under a table, overhand grip) + Squats
- Pair 2: Assisted tricep dips + RDL
- Pair 3: Let-Me-ins (or assisted Let-me-ups under a table, underhand grip) + incline Pushups
- Triplet: Forearm plank + Banded Pallof + Reverse hyperextension
- Stretch

T/Th:
- WALK (2-3 miles at lunch)
- RUN (2-4 miles with beginner group)

Sat:
- REST and coffee

Sun:
- Hike, bike, trail... no plans; something fun and adventurous.

Thanks for all the support!!! Editing to add a little stat info:
- I’m 40 / female / 5’8” / 165lb
- I’m a recovered bulimic (binge/restrict, professionally managed) and I have trouble with “stopping at a few anything” because I love the taste of food.
- My current diet is largely wholesome and healthy, but weekend food binges are an issue (see above).
- The only part of the plan I don’t already do is the Strength Training section. I’m fairly active for an average person.

@sofialo09 If at any moment you find yourself falling away from this plan, jiggle your plan so that it's got more things you find fun and less things that you're doing because they're good for you.

@sofialo09 From a formerly fat middle-aged woman, building strength takes time. I’m still building mine but I started with a plan similar to yours. And I was pre-beginner; I was 260 lbs, coming off a surgery and completely out of shape – I mean I did wall push-ups, chair-assisted squats, 10 second planks.

My suggestion is to expect frustration that you can’t do the exercises perfectly at first. Just get the form down first; observe how it feels in your muscles as you do movements.

I did a lot of walking, too. It was something I found I could do “successfully” and it kept me going.

Good luck! DM if you want to commiserate about middle age fitness challenges.

@cnombob THIS! Expect frustration. Anything challenging to do will require to grow mentally as well as physically. Dial in your mindset everyday. Show up excited that you have an opportunity to tackle challenges. The biggest challenge will be maintaining consistency. You don't need a perfect plan and you don't need to be perfect you just need to keep showing up.

@dropbear
Show up excited that you have an opportunity to tackle challenges. The biggest challenge will be maintaining consistency. You don't need a perfect plan and you don't need to be perfect you just need to keep showing up.

I appreciate and value this advice SO much. I think I'm going to print it out and put it at my desk.

@hogfan5 Yeh they're not easy, I just have developed legs from cycling that I can do them without having to go through progressions. However keep working on it!

@sofialo09 Seems like an appropriate beginner plan. Walking more, as another commenter said, would be helpful.

A side comment: weight loss is effected most strongly by changes in diet, not exercise, so this plan is at best a supplement to a diet change and not the primary engine of weight loss. Further, you suggested you "eat too much" - I kindly ask you to think of the issue in a different way.

It's not that you eat too much per se, but you're eating too many calories. If you switch your food choices away from processed foods high in refined carbohydrates and sugars, away from animal products, away from oils, and away from alcoholic drinks - all of which have a high caloric density - and toward whole plant foods (whole grains, legumes, veggies, fruit, nuts, etc), you can eat as much as you want.

I say this because conventional wisdom (what most people believe) holds that a "calorie restriction" diet, (a starvation style diet) will help you lose weight, but it's not true. Your body craves nutrients and calories and simply stopping when the tank is only 75% full is not a sustainable solution. The best solution is to get your calories from nutrient-dense, low calorie foods with fiber such as whole plants.

@flora01 I used to go to the gym 4 times a week faithfully and either do some form of cardio, bike, jogging, whatever for at least 40 minutes on top of strength training. Did this FAITHFULLY, but was so frustrated because I wasn’t losing weight.

Then, someone told me what you just told her. Diet over exercise. Of course exercise is still important for good health, but addressing the issues in my diet was the biggest thing that helped me.

Back