I’m a chubby middle aged woman and I would like to know my plan is sound

@sofialo09 Look at your snacks during the day, including things like latte style coffees.

This is usually the point people add an extra thousand calories they forget about.

Add this to the fact snacking is rarely required from a dietary perspective.

@flora01 Lean meat is very good for you when aiming for a calorie deficit (high in protein and filling while low in calories) and nuts can’t be eaten as much as you want, but otherwise very solid advice.

@jeff0007 Chicken and Broccoli is the classic bulker recipe for a reason. Tons of protein in both of the above, almost no fat and carbs. Very filling, fuels muscle growth, almost no negatives past culinary boredom.

@flora01 To add on to this, you will want to look for low caloric density foods that take time to digest, this will help both with calorie control, as well as minimizing hunger. Broccoli is a great example, but there are many others.

Conversely you will want to avoid high caloric density foods.

@medic75 I walk as much as I can! I love walking... being outside in nature is my first love, and it's a perfect opportunity to get away from my desk for a true work break. In an hour I can cover almost 4 miles, but sometimes I only want 2. I'll make sure to prioritize walking whenever I can, thank you. :)

@sofialo09 Plan looks good but I want to throw in one thought. It's really really super fucking hard to just flip a switch and change your habits like that. You're gonna go from someone who doesn't exercise to someone who exercises pretty heavily 6 days a week overnight? No offense, but very few people have that willpower, especially if they're trying to change how they eat at the same time, also overnight.

I suggest starting REALLY small. No more soda, no more candy etc. Walk 30 minutes 30 times a week. The goal is not to go crazy as quick as you can, it's to establish the habit. Make it so easy you have ZERO reasons to cop out. Once you find yourself going on walks without really thinking about it, and feeling weird if you miss one, then add in a day of bodyweight work etc.

This is a LIFELONG goal you're setting here. No need to rush to the finish line. Habit first, intensity second.

@sofialo09 Really like your Sunday plans, I try to have fun when I put in the cardio work. Biking in the summer is my go to activity, and hiking in the right spot can reward you with great views and be incredibly peaceful. Make it fun and the workout takes care of itself.

Sounds like a solid plan to me, just stick with it and turn your progress into motivation, it's a marathon not a sprint when it comes to exercise.

@sofialo09 Install My Fitness Pal. Log everything truthfully. Put your goals in and follow the plan it gives you.

Weight loss is 98% diet. It’s what, and how much you eat. You can destroy an hour of fast walking on a treadmill with three Reese’s peanut butter cups.

Use MFP and its calorie deficit plan WHILE doing your body weight fitness plan.

Learn how to politely yet forcefully tell friends, family and coworkers to fuck off. They’re all out of shape too. Everyone in the US is sick and eats garbage. People won’t understand or support your goals. You’ll be offered a giant slab of cake 3 times a month for some coworkers birthday party. You’ll have stressful days and want to murder a bag of Doritos in front of the tv. Family gatherings will suck when people are offended you don’t want mashed potatoes and 2 servings of some sugar laden oversized dessert.

Good luck.

@sofialo09 One of the most effective ways to put your food down on shit food in social settings is this little white lie:

“Doctors orders, because _______.”

High blood sugar is a good one. That lets you go light or skate on alcohol, garbage carb foods, sugary crap, soft drinks, etc. and honestly, if you’re overweight, you are prediabetic.

Telling Uncle Frank you’re only taking the hamburger patty, a heaping side of broccoli, a salad, a glass of ice water and a small 3 inch square of his retirement cake is a lot easier when you say “I can’t, health reasons.” People won’t understand food refusal otherwise. Because Americans are all fat, sick, in poor physical condition and have a diet of processed sugary and oversized everything.

You’ll learn this when you start your MyFitnessPal journey. It will positively blow your mind how much sugar and carbs are in everything.

@proundcatholic I used to be a daily MFP user — at one point I think I'd logged over 450 days in a row! When people try to force food on me, my technique is to say: "get that god damn cake away from me or I'll break your fingers."

On the other hand I am THAT person who tries to derail the big loud "Oh god I can't eat this slice of cake it's BAD" comments by butting in to say "The cake isn't bad; but your application of it MIGHT be, if you choose to overconsume it regularly."

(Side note: I wish standard slices of cake were tiny! I always want everything, but just a sliver. I want to open a bite-sized dessert restaurant, just for myself.)

@sofialo09 I think it helps if you think about the purpose you have for everything you do. For me, for instance, eating cakes almost never seems useful, since I stopped doing CrossFit and don't do very high volume endurance, like marathons and triathlons. But getting enough protein matters because I know from experience that it hurts my strength workout if I go vegan/vegetarian for several weeks, without any protein supplements.

Back