I’m mentally weak

@eternaldragon Doing monostructural HIIT may help here, since you’ll be exposed to high intensity for many reps, and the monostructural aspect (bike/echo bike/rower/ski erg/running/swimming) will keep it more repeatable than doing random WOD’s, and thus reliable to progress. The repeated exposure will also be good mental training, as you’ll see how much work you’re able to do, and that you can do the work, period.

Start low and slow, a moderate pace or slightly faster, working anywhere from 0:30-1:00 depending on your conditioning, note the amount of work done (distance or calories), and rest for 1:30-2:00. Repeat for 3-4 intervals to start. In the beginning, pace yourself to use up most of the clock for the first few intervals; you should be able to go all out and finish faster in the last interval.

If that session feels good, bump work up slightly the next week by 2.5-5%, and repeat until you can no longer finish the last interval within the time limit. You can choose to hang out here for another week or two, or take work down by 10% or so and repeat the process. You can also play around with increasing work intervals and decreasing rest intervals a few seconds at a time as part of the process.

@eternaldragon I’m gonna start you off with a prescription to some David Goggins videos. Take 2/day on an empty stomach so you “stay hungry”. Side effects may include yelling “stay hard” at strangers at random moments through the day

@eternaldragon Owner of my first box said "CrossFit doesn't get easier, you just get better at it."

I've been in CrossFit gyms on and off since 2014 and I'm regularly one of the slowest folks for the day for workouts but to me the win is pushing myself to my own limits and improving upon yesterday.
Don't lose sight of why you're working out - it's for YOU. No one else!

@eternaldragon This means you have nowhere to go but up. Don't worry about what other people think, just try to make incremental improvements. A small improvement may not be something anyone else notices, but it's something for you to feel good about. Work on doing what you can to finish the workout without giving up and go from there.

@eternaldragon I have been doing CrossFit since Feb 2024 and although I do see some improvements in my overall fitness I still get winded and tired. Some days I feel super strong and can do more and some days I walk in already tired.
On those days I tell myself “just keep moving, don’t stop moving.” Even when my reps are slower and more forced and I just keep moving and then I eventually finish.
The reward then is that even though it may have taken longer I still finished!
When you feel tired just keep moving-you got this!

@eternaldragon Well I’ve been going to CrossFit for 14 months now. I’m 72 and not skinny lol. We are all different, don’t compare yourself to others. Do the best that you can do and if the workout seems more than you can do ask your coach to scale it for you. The coach that you have makes a lot of difference. I don’t know if you’ve explained to your coach about the limitations you may have due to your autoimmune disease or whatever other limitations you may have but he or she needs to know so they can properly scale the workout specifically for you. If they do this you should finish your workout around the same time as most do. In other words, the workout may call for 12 burpees, but your coach may scale it down to 8 burpees for you or 8 beginner burpees. It makes a world of difference and everyone still gets a good workout!
Don’t give up, talk to your coach! Good luck!

@eternaldragon
  1. You have to think what you want more. Do you want to perform good at a metcon? Do you want to stay in shape? Do you want to enjoy the community? Do you want to get healthier? Maybe you can reach your goals without pushing hard and risk injury.

If you make yourself clear what you want, your mental power will come; if it does not, then you do not want it enough.
  2. Doing a longer and more sophisticated warmup before (especially very short) metcons could help improve your mind. F.e. if you are in for a fran with 95lb thrusters and kipping pullups take 20min of time warming up to some 135lb thrusters + weighted strict pullups + muscleups. After that, the metcon weight will feel much lighter.
  3. Do not compare yourself with others in your box, just compare yourself with yourself half a year ago.
Hope that helps you.

@eternaldragon I'm mentally weak too!

I've found two things that help me and feel free to tell me that my ideas are silly!

1) Carnivore diet: my dandruff, stomach pain, hand eczema, and may other issues just go away! I also lose weight and have much much much better energy levels. This might help the autoimmune issue!

2) complete against... Well, me! I track weight, strength, times, and mood daily. I've found that I can see trends and that empower me to make positive changes in my life.

Bonus 3) my wife is super hot and I need to look better for her!

Good luck and don't give up!

@eternaldragon If you feel like your strength is a contributing factor. Set aside a couple days a week to work on strength focused workouts and then have a couple days of CrossFit style workouts. On CrossFit days I’d focus on body weight movements (pull ups, box step overs, burpees etc.) Something like 30 minutes of burpees will not only be a hell of a workout. But a mental challenge. Set a timer don’t even keep count. Just try to take as little rest as possible and go for the entire 30 minutes. Basically no ifs ands or buts. Set a big but achievable goal and just do it. Then set a bigger goal. And then an even bigger one and so on.

@eternaldragon Simply by showing up routinely you're doing more than the vast majority of people. Give yourself a little grace.

I have the same problem. But at the end of the day I'm not trying to be the best. I want to look and feel happy, healthy, and fit. To that end, if I'm doing 10% less than others in the class, what does it matter? I'm still showing up and moving and that's getting me closer to my goal.

Also, as an aside, when I do go all out while I may feel some accomplishment, I'm also far more likely to not show up the next day due to incredible soreness and/or not wanting to deal with the pain of another all in workout. In the words of my gym owner, in no other sport to you train at 100% every day.