I’m only about 8 weeks into weight lifting and I’m crazy stiff. Does anyone have a stretching or yoga routine that they can share?

melissa75

My chest and shoulders hurt all the time and I’m just generally stiff. I used to be able to easily touch my toes and have always been pretty flexible. I don’t want to lose that and I don’t want to be in so much pain.

Does anyone have a stretching routine they can recommend? At what frequency do you stretch?

@melissa75 Get yourself a lacrosse ball and a yoga strap! I have my issues with some of Cassey Ho's messaging but her Blogilates app has some good free stretching classes.

@melissa75 I don’t have any recommendations, but I’m so glad you posted this. I’m in my 7th week of strength training and my upper back and shoulders have been really sore the last week or so. I’m really bad when it comes to making time to stretch, but it’s something I really need to start making an effort on.

@melissa75 Seconding the recommendation for Down Dog, but I think overall you just need to make it a point to stretch after every lifting session. Use a band or bar to expand the shoulders and lift the chest, touch your toes, sit into a comfy squat, etc. The consistency may help more than a twice-a-week yoga sesh.

@melissa75 Just a heads up - you don't want to do passive stretching (held stretches) before you do strength training. It's well documented that stretching triggers mechanisms in the muscles that actually make them weaker. Before you lift, do light cardio movements, going through full ROM of joints (side to side swings, overhead reaches, torso twist) and save the stretching till the end.

For anybody intersted in the research: https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/passive-stretching-can-make-you-weaker

Edit: My bad, here's the actual study I meant to post https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/...ffect_of_Passive_Static_Stretching_on.13.aspx

@melissa75 Absolutely. It's funny, the research studies where they first started to find definitive evidence of this are at least a decade old. It takes a long time for information like this to make its way out to the general public.

@melissa75 In case nobody has thought of it, getting an adequate amount of protein in your diet is vital for muscle recovery and reduces intensity and length of Doms (from what I've researched).

If you increase your intake of protein you may see a difference in muscle recovery time and intensity.

@evangelisttooti Hell yeah. I think protein should be used especially for weightlifting. I do want to note that I would especially encourage protein if you have felt really bad soreness. We're talking, you walking around feeling like a zombie, soreness. But minor soreness comes with the territory.

Eating some tasty, filling food is also crucial.

@evangelisttooti This is good to hear. I brought this up at the beginning because were mostly vegetarian and my husband brushed it off. I’m not sure how much protein I’m getting but I got things this week that are higher in protein like cottage cheese and actually bought steak cuz I’m having mad cravings!

@melissa75 I had the same issue when I added strength training to my routine. I use Yoga with Kassandra on YouTube, I try to do a 40-60 min yin yoga practice around 3 times a week. She’s got heaps of videos, you can pretty much pick any body part you feel tighter in and there will be a video to go with it.

@melissa75 I bought a foam roller on Amazon for less than $20 and I use it for about 5 min before and after a workout, and on rest days if I feel sore. Also great for cracking my back!

@melissa75 https://www.maponline.co.uk/

I use this website and do a mobility flow every morning when I wake up and then a training specific one before I start working out i.e. if I am squatting I will do a hips/glutes focus flow or if I am doing gymnastics work I will do shoulders/thoracic/upper body focused.

It has revolutionised my training - I am no longer sore, achy, tight and can get into positions so much easier. 100% recommend.