I *calmly* shut down unwanted male attention today!

@shadesofblue Yes! It’s always so urgent - like they need your attention right away on this matter!

And then you lay attention to them and it’s all just an excuse to talk to you.

Just no. Exactly. No smile. No rudeness. Just no.

I can’t imagine the bullshit you would deal with on a military base gym. Damn.

@karin70 Good for you! More women should tell these intruding men to fuck off. Every time I hear a story like this, I ask myself who the hell they think they are. They act like we're dumb children who constantly need correction. I realize part of it is sexual motivation, but they also seem to think we're inferior and need their fatherly guidance, too. Just ugh.

I live in a really bad city where harassment is constant, and living here has taught me that I can't just ignore men anymore and keep walking. I have to straight up tell them to leave me alone or they won't. I have to look at them and firmly command, "Do not talk to me." Or "Don't bother me."

Now that I've been through so much harassment in my city, I think I'm a little bit harsher than you just out of sheer exhaustion given that (where I live) the unwanted attention is constant. But it makes me happy to see more and more women standing up for themselves.

I think it would piss me off to no end to have some random guy correcting my form after I worked so hard to improve my technique (the progress of which I am very proud of). I have a free standing punching bag at home, in my tiny apartment (a real bag, not that blow up crap), because I would just have no patience for the constant interruptions I would have to endure in a gym. If someone didn't ask for help, leave them alone.

And the fact that you were wearing headphones and he tried to approach anyway! Nothing works to keep them away anymore. Damn.

If you want to punch a bag in peace, you might want to look into getting a free standing bag. I lift weights and box at home, without men leering at me or patronizing me, and it's great. We need women's gyms in my town.

@karin70 Go you!

I cringe on the inside and haven’t got the guts to tell them to go away but you’ve inspired me. I love the response of ‘I’m good’.

Last time this happened to me a guy came up to correct my shoulder lifting technique. I told him that it was a modified exercise given to me by my physiotherapist because of an old rotator cuff tear and before he could respond another guy came up and told him to leave me the heck alone (in much less polite words). Next tome I’m not going to bother with any explanation, I’m going to use ‘I’m good’ just like you.

@bab Yes, totally. I would beat myself up every time before that I handled it poorly.

I honestly think it took a bunch of times of it happening/ practicing a response to get to a time when I had my words ready.

Hopefully next time, I can even be a little more clear and more kind. Maybe like, “no, thank you. I’m good.”

I’ve totally tried to give the explanation too. Or maybe listen to them for a minute. But then, it’s just obviously leading to a place you don’t want it to go.

You got it next time! I’m here for it!

@bab One time I did go into an explanation but just to see what happened. I had a personal trainer walk up to me during one exercise and say ‘oh is that all you are going to do?’ I said no actually I plan to work on my ( insert a couple formal muscle name here) and he just turned around and walked away. An actual PT. Idk if he was trying to be cute but clearly he don’t know shit if the proper names of muscles intimidates him.

@mayasolay It could have also been a negging tactic to solicit business. I've had it happen to me several times. They try to make you feel insecure about working out then follow up with a spiel on how they can help you reach your goals. It's totally gross and inappropriate.

@lyd Ugghh yes this is

Everything! It must've felt great

Afterwards. Good shit!

- NeoGeishaPrime

[sup]I detect haikus. And sometimes, successfully.[/sup] [sup]Learn more about me.[/sup]

[sup]Opt out of replies: "haikusbot opt out" | Delete my comment: "haikusbot delete"[/sup]

@karin70 I think its just a good day for shutting down men. At the gym today it was just me and an old man. He was walking the treadmill and im lifting weights. I hear the treadmill stop but never see the man go toward the changing room or door so I just peek over to make sure he's not on the floor dead or something. There he is sitting on the edge of the treadmill making definite eye to ass contact. I just yelled over "enjoying the show?", not aggressively but its some distance to cover so pretty loud.

He just scurried away mumbling he was sorry. I get old doesn't mean dead but the gym is just not the place, and if you're checking people out in public at least have the decency to be brief and discreet.

@karin70 GOOD. don't let these entitled ass "men" get away with this behavior. always be careful of course depending on the situation but you (and all of us) don't owe them shit. one more put in his place bravo!

@godislove1 I'll never forget a guy I used to be friends with telling me over and over I needed to start doing whatever flavor of crossfit Joe Rogan was shilling at the time. I think the brand was called Onnit? Meanwhile I'm in basically the best shape of my life, super fit and strong, and this dude was built like a literal string bean. The nerve...