I couldn’t even do 5 minutes on an elliptical!!! Help!!!’

andrewmicheals

I started a weight loss journey back in Dec and I’ve lost 25 lbs. 250lbs to 225 lbs. I did it solely through dieting. I work from home so I have a very sedentary lifestyle for the last 2-3 years but I want to start working out. Since I don’t have transportation I decided to buy an elliptical.

I did my first work out today and I barely lasted 5 minutes .My chest felt like it was burning. I’m 29 and when I was around 25 I could do 45 minutes no problems. Is this normal or did I give up to soon ? Any tips. I want to get up to 30 minutes

@andrewmicheals DONT BE DISCOURAGED!

5 minutes today, 6 tomorrow, 7 the next, 7 the next, 8 the next, 8 the next, 9 the next, 10 the next, etc.

Just keep increasing and you'll be back to 45 in no time.

@bluechap I’ve been increasing my time by 1 minute everyday . Already at 8 minutes. That first workout was brutal and discouraging but it’s slowly getting easier. Hopefully I can get to 20 minutes in a couple weeks!!!!

@andrewmicheals I really think this is normal given that you haven't worked out in a bit.

Try to remember that, for now, you mostly want to build up the habit of working out regularly. I think that should be your main priority. Endurance and strength will come soon!

@andrewmicheals You’re 1/6 of your way to your goal!

I would do five minutes 1-2 times a day for a week, then start adding on 30 seconds to a minute every couple of days. I like to go a little slower in the beginning.

@andrewmicheals Totally normal. You might be stuck at 5 for a while so don't necessarily expect 6 tomorrow but just keep going and you will get it increasing.

I used to set a goal, for example of I was at the 5 minute range or you are, I would do 5 minutes of whatever my intensity was and then 5 minutes of whatever I needed to do to get it done. I would go super slow, or zero resistance, speed up when I got a little burst of energy, whatever I could. Eventually I got to 6 minutes of intensity and 4 minutes of whatever, then 7 and 3, then 8 and 2. Eventually 1 was at 10 minutes and adding 5 more of whatever it took.

I built up to 20 on the elliptical, 20 on the treadmill, and 20 on stairs or rower.

Just keep at it and keep going. Lower the resistance or speed just to keep moving. It will get easier, just watch.

@andrewmicheals Hey I’m in the same boat! I didn’t realize how out of shape I was until I started trying to do what I used to do 15 years ago. Heck of an awakening.
So I’ve been going at my current bodies pace…and just pushing it a little more than the day before. Don’t get discouraged and be kind to yourself.

@andrewmicheals This is normal. I focus on weights and hate cardio. Had to face the music when 10/31/22 was visiting son and couldn't walk more than 1/2 mile before legs cramped (right calf and left thigh). I started cardio with walking 4 minutes on treadmill like you. Stayed at it about 3/week. By a month was doing 20 minutes, 4 minutes jog then 4 minutes rest.

Just stay consistent and slowly build up as tolerated.

@andrewmicheals I weigh 155 right now. I haven’t exercised regularly in 4 years. I ran for 3 minutes today on the treadmill, then I had to change the speed to walk the rest of the time. My average heart rate was 152.

@andrewmicheals Cardiovascular endurance is just like anything else, it takes time to build up and when you lose it, it goes quickly. Think about this like the gym, if you took four years off from lifting and you used to be able to squat 350lbs, would you expect to walk back into the gym and immediately rack up to that weight and drop a full set? No! And running should be treated the same.

I'd recommend walking on the elliptical first, do longer walking sessions while you watch TV or something like that. After some time, start to incorporate bouts of running. When you run you should be pushing at a conversational pace, be able to get a sentence out or maybe a little less at a time. As time goes on, push yourself to run more intervals! I got back into running by doing a couch to 5k program that's predicated on this exact idea, start by doing intervals of running followed by walking and over time you should see that ratio go from about 1:1 to suddenly 1.5:1, then 2:1, then 3:1 etc!

@andrewmicheals You probably pushed yourself too hard. I recently started using the elliptical again and struggled so much the first workout. But by the third one I was doing much better. Start as easy as you possibly can and add a little more each day.

@andrewmicheals Maybe instead of using the elliptical just start walking. Walking is so good for you and it helps not be in pain after your work out etc. just go for a 30 minute walk. And slowly work your way up to an hour. Don’t worry about speed don’t worry about looking good just get out there and walk. You got this!

@andrewmicheals Nice investment! The key to sustainability is doing something that you can maintain. The public health guidance is 150 minutes of moderate activity exercise per week, so 30 minutes a session is a useful goal.

Start with going 30 minutes at a pace you can sustain twice a week. Like you could barely work up a sweat. It still counts as activity.

Then after a week or two of 30 minutes, you can increase to 3 days per week, or gradually increase intensity.

Mix it up by walking outside. And, the key to improving your health is increasing your FREQUENCY of exercise throughout the day. The intensity has little to do with it. Check out a study called breaks in sedentary time by Healy.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the encouragement. It first I was sure I wasted my money but 5 weeks later and I’m glad I made the investment.

I’m now down to 210 and I usually do 25-40 minutes workouts once or twice a day 5-6 times a week. I’ve ran over 75 miles.

Now I’m looking to get into some strength training. My inner thighs are looking a little loose and I want to tone my back and glutes.

@andrewmicheals When I dropped 130lb, I distinctly remember trying to get into jogging. It was hard. I couldn't do 200m without being completely out of breath. I focused on power walking instead because I could do that and work from there.

Last summer, I ran a 15km and I just ran a 5km in 23 minutes 2 days ago. Don't get discouraged, it gets better. In the mean time, try readjusting the effort level on your workout. It shouldn't be a torture if you want to keep doing it.

@andrewmicheals try going slower and put more emphasis on feeling your body just move as you work out rather than forcing a time! it will increase your time but it’ll also improve your endurance and you’ll gain both speed and endurance as you continue 💗

@andrewmicheals I've usually heard that one should see a doctor first. Barring that or if that's not an option., like people are saying here keep at it. i started working out last Oct 1 doing what was moderately difficult every day for several days then increasing difficulty, either weight, intensity, or duration, and over time it developed into a routine. I use a smartwatch, a scale that can also measure body fat, muscle mass, etc. And an app, Chronometer, to log everything i eat which is a pain at first but gets easier as you go and you can set weight loss goals so that you run a calorie deficit. Working out and walking allows more food too.
I keep a spreadsheet of metrics that i feel are important and important to me. After 5 months i can feel and see, on my body and with data real improvement which is rewarding and provides the motivation to continue. Im not sure i would have contunued if i didnt do all of these things and the progress really is rewarding enough to make this a permanent change.