Why couldn’t I do a single pull-up?

@pablob It took me two weeks of training close to every day, before I could do one pull up. Do as far as you can go every day, the muscles will build. Im similar weight and height to you. Then it took me 3 months to to nearly complete 10. Don’t stop because it gets put into your muscle memory. I didn’t do any training for 4 months and when I started again I could still do 5 which I was so happy about

@pablob It could be limitations in your back. The most common weakest link preventing someone from doing pullups are the scapulae. I’m getting back into it after almost a year off and have been doing band assisted pullups (from beginning to add weight at my peak).

Rows and scapula pulls can be effective. I also would recommend “how to bulletproof your shoulders” by fitnessFAQ and incorporating that into your routine.

Edit: I’ve also seen some recommendations to do pullups on a machine. While this can be beneficial, one of the main muscle groups worked in the pullup is the core, and is totally eliminated if you’re standing up on a weight. I would strongly recommend band-assisted pullups and scapula pulls instead.

@pablob Train with weighted lat pull downs and work your way up to your body weight. You want to make sure your form is almost perfect and you are engaging your back as well as your arms.

Pull ups involve a lot of muscle groups (which is why they are the best!). So start with less weight than you would think is appropriate to ensure you are engaging all of them. It is absolutely harder to get there the heavier you are, but with consistent training (and good form) you should be able to get there without loosing any more weight.

@pablob Somewhat off topic, but my 110 lb 5'6 lady friend was pretty weak and couldn't do a single pull up. Started indoor rock climbing, and now she can do 3 or 4 after only 3 months. Climbing does crazy things for forearm and pulling strength. Plus it's actually fun to do, esp compared to just straight working out.

@pablob I'm about the same high as you, and even tho its a bit harder for us then for someone shorter, it isnt a barrier.

what I did was start with negatives. No bands, just used a step to climb to the top position on the bar and go down in a slow and controlled way. after a couple months pullups became viable with perfect form.

you just need to practice

@pablob It doesn't matter why. If you want to be able to do pull-ups now, start with bar hangs going into negatives. Do 4-5 sets of 3-5 spaced throughout the day. I would recommend 2 days on/1 day off. As.you can do more, do more. You should be able to be doing a pull-up around the 4-6 week mark...maybe even earlier.

@pablob You ever seen an olympic weightlifter in some of the lighter classes? Or maybe a professional arm wrestler? They are very strong at particular movements because they do them.

The pull up motion is not really something a human being does in the modern environment...ever. It isn't exactly surprising that you can't do one without training it first unless you climb trees for fun.

@pablob If it makes you feel better as a skinny guy I can do a bunch of pull-ups but I'm not that strong.

Do like 5 to 10 every day but like I said if you asked me to pick up actual weights I probably couldn't do much

@pablob Lat pull downs & rear deltoid exercises (face pulls) help with the main muscle contraction required for pull ups. An Inbalance between these two muscle drivers may cause pull ups to be more difficult