Why couldn’t I do a single pull-up?

@pablob Well although fat has a lot to do with pull ups you shouldn't focus on losing more fat to achieve pull ups.
I was also obese (100kg) and lost a lot of weight (down to 72kg) . I could do pull ups even at 100kg but there wasn't a huge difference in 72 kg , yh it was easier but not that much of a difference . It's logical though for two reasons

1) these 28 kg I lost weren't only fat which means I became weaker , I lost muscles as well
2) pull ups is a very hard exercise according to most people

I think that you should focus on exercises which will help you do pull ups in order to achieve them and not only on pull ups. Also you should focus on form which plays a major role. My form at first scked , later it became a little bit better and know I have perfect form . You should not aim for more reps but for better form and if possible heavier load . My personal best was 20 pull ups but they weren't perfect form . Now my best is 16 (I haven't really checked for a lot of time) but with perfect form .

Last but not least no your posture has nothing to do with pull ups or if it does it doesn't really affect you . I'm 6'2" (192cm+) 74 kg and can do many pull ups in comparison to my peers and shorter guys

@pablob Do some light-version of a pullup, not an expert but the rubberband-pullup should do.

The thing is if you wanna be able to somewhat pull a pullup with all your force, than just cutting will work.

If you want to be able to do a correct pullup or even more, you need to start building those muscles.

@pablob I would like to say that doing a pull-up is not only about muscle but also about technique and body control/awareness.

If you have literally never done one or been able to do one then it is not only about the strenght, but also about the "technique".

It's hard for me to describe, but i remember not being able to do a single one for a long time too. I have a friend who was able to do 1-2 chin-ups at 100 kg, but he is only slightly above 170 cm. So at your current weight it is definitely not impossible.

@pablob I never understood the differences. I used to work out with two buddies, both much taller and stronger than me, but one of them is quite heavy.
When I was working out a bit extra, I could easily do 12 pullups (gone down now quite a bit but working my way up). However, my friends barely manage to do one. With weights, they are way ahead of me, but with a 'simple' pullup, they can't get close to me, to their annoyance.

I'm pretty strong for my size, but never really trained my back. Or trained anything/did sports whatsoever. Like I was a natural or something. Not boasting here, just trying to point out that it is easier for some and I've been wondering as well if it was directly wieght related.

@pablob congrats on the weight loss, that's a solid effort!!!

I'm not really an expert or anything, i usually stop at 5 but couldn't do any at first.

My method: use a step, start off at the highest point and slowly extend your arms to lower yourself. Use the step to climb up again and repeat.

Apparently these are called inversions, it helps put strength into the exact muscles you need to go up. After a couple of weeks/months depending on your routine you can start to pull-up.

Best of luck mate!

@pablob The very first thing is just hanging for 30 seconds and repeat about seven times. I never used assistance bands. I just did jumping pull ups. I can do five sets of 10 now with good form. Took about three years.

@pablob Same here mate, I lost weight and was light as fuck at the time, like 150 and still couldnt do it, I was just like their flailing off the bar. Just do sets of negatives and you will be onto your first pull up in no time.

@pablob I wouldn't lose weight. I could do 7 pullups at 97kg+20kg of weights at 6'2. So while it is a bit tougher for you because I assume you have longer arms than me, I still think you should just try to gain strength. Aside from seriously obese people everyone can get themselves to do some pullups

@pablob Look into, “grease the groove” style training, I’m almost certain you have the muscle required for it, this is just a matter of the strength. This training helped me a lot, hopefully it can be of use to you

@pablob Sometimes you can't do is not because of strength, but because of technique.

Suggest you find a way to do assisted pull up
1) use band
2) get someone to help by holding onto 1 ankle and you kick yourself up
3) swing and jerk your way up

You need to let your body learn the mechanics of pulling up and recognise activation of which muscles on the way up. Doing negatives only will not help, its the wrong direction.

Usually the hardest part is dead hang to first 45 degree bend. After you get through that the rest is handled by your biceps and is easier towards the top.

@pablob I’m a very strong 310 but my fighting weight would be more like 260. I think pull-ups would be a reasonable exercise for me if I ever were to lose 30 or more pounds but for now they just seem like a good way to tear my biceps.

I find controlled pull-up negatives to be really good also isometric hangs/holds at different positions within the range of motion.

Other than that with face pulls, rows and Australian pull-ups I still have strong and massive lats

@pablob Around March 2020, I weighed around 215 pounds and couldn't do a single pull-up. Within a few weeks of doing arch hangs, scapular pulls, and negatives, I finally knocked one out. Within a few weeks of that, I was able to do three sets of 2-3.

I didn't lose a significant amount of weight during that time (maybe five pounds), and I probably didn't build that much muscle either. I believe I was always strong enough to do a pull-up at that weight. I just didn't know how to make my body do what it needed to do, and the hangs and negatives unlocked that connection between my brain and muscles.

@pablob I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I think the best exercise for getting the pull up is eccentrics. Jumping to the top of the pull up position, and then lowering yourself to the bottom position as slow as possible. I'm not a coach or anything but I've helped two of my friends get their first pull ups using nothing but eccentrics. I think eccentrics are more useful than assisted pull ups, as I believe assisted pull ups aren't as close to the actual movement as eccentrics are. Also, I achieved my first one arm pull up using nothing but eccentrics.

As for reps and sets, when starting out maybe do 3 sets of 10. Aim for 5 second eccentrics. Do them everyday and progressively make it more difficult each time you do them.

Hope this helps🙂