I don’t count calories

@huskmc This is me. Counting calories reminds me of painful years in college. I just apply the principles of calorie density now. If I feel like I’m not powered for my workouts, I’ll choose more things like nuts and oil. If I have muscle-building goals, I’ll choose more processed proteins (faux meats and protein powder). If I want to trim down, I’ll pack fiber-rich foods into my meals. I also don’t use a scale to track my weight. I also make goals based on gaining new skills, increasing flexibility or stamina, or adding distance. The only time I’m weighted is at the dr. Using this method has worked for me in managing my physical and mental health.

@huskmc Thanks! I have just had to come to accept I have a personality type that takes things very seriously and to extremes. It can be good, (I got into Harvard and graduated with honors) and it can also be horribly toxic. One of the biggest lessons I have to keep coming back to in life is learning to chill and find a middle ground.

@huskmc i love how the uneducated people downvote comments like this. i have 11 years in the field, studies, degrees, certs, but yes, it’s entirely wrong

@outside I'm confused, if you don't believe in counting calories, why are you trying to figure out how many calories you need?

Calories are a mathematical measure of how much energy from the food is available for your body to absorb and use. It's just science.

Figuring out exactly what your body needs will have to do with a lot of factors, most people start with a TDEE calculator, then adjust based on what happens. You have to accurately track, and weigh your food, or you're just guessing. You also need to figure out what macros work for you.

@ashley101 Theres a limit to everything. I know of calorie surplus and deficit. Those are more specific. I’m looking for the limit in which the average person eats

@ashley101 counting calories is a specific number. I’ve looked into a lot of calorie counters, and a lot of them have different answers. They also don’t take into account allergies, medication or physical health

@outside What is your question though?

Calories don't have anything to do with allergies or medications. Calories are about energy, which is why it's what you eat compared to what you burn.

@ashley101 some people have different reactions to calories. For example I’m on anti depressants and have a gluten intolerance. I gain more weight with some calorie rich foods and get lethargy. It’s more looking into what we’re eating than the calorie intake

@outside What is the question though?

What you're describing isn't a reaction to calories, it's a reaction to food.

Everyone gains weight if they eat calorie-rich food. It's a number representing how much energy is in the food. Your body uses it or turns it into fat. Other reactions have nothing to do with calories.

@ashley101 A lot of people tell me calories is the most important thing to track. I’m asking whats the highest amount I can eat in a day. I sas told chickpeas have too much