I don’t know why, but I wasn’t expecting this. None of my clothes fit anymore!

jlegette78

I’m 5’2”, and I’ve lost 43 pounds so far. 160-117. Somehow, I didn’t anticipate that all of my favorite clothes just… wouldn’t fit anymore. I logically knew it would happen, but I guess it just seemed so far away?

Like, I had some shirts that were a little tight and I wanted to fit in them again. Not only do they fit fine now, they’re too big! Some of my clothes just look silly on me. I knew I wanted to fit into old clothes, but I didn’t expect to need NEW ones because of it.

I know it’s a “good” problem to have, but it’s a darn expensive one and I wasn’t prepared at ALL! And why are all the pants so long? Buying leggings is rough.

@jlegette78 I second the thrifting suggestion! It's the best for new-to-you clothes :D

But I agree, it's frustrating. I bought some new shorts for summer in May and they were too baggy to be comfortable by August. Good problem, but annoying.

@jlegette78 I went down a few sizes when I lost weight. Then I gained muscle/lost body fat, and I went back up. Then Covid hit, I lost all my muscle, and was the smallest I’ve been since I was a teenager. It took me forever to gain all the muscle back….then I got kidney disease and lost a bunch of muscle again. It’s been an expensive few years clothing wise so I feel you!!

@rodneys Gosh, that must’ve been quite a rollercoaster to deal with! I hope you’re doing well now

That’s part of why I’m hesitant to buy a million new things, maybe I’ll gain some muscle and have to buy more again.

@jlegette78 Don’t hesitate- it’s important to wear clothes that make you feel your best. You just worked for this body! Definitely rec the thrift store idea, and then if you’re able to spend in some areas have them be staples you’ll wear a lot- like a good pair of jeans.

@jlegette78 If you’re looking for advice:
I’d suggest going to a tailor or learning how to sew. That way your favorite clothes that are too big now can stay in your wardrobe!

As for pants, I love American Eagle. Their jeggings that are short? chefs kiss

@vypr I appreciate advice! I actually really do like to sew, I just haven’t been able to find the time with college classes going on.

I’ve actually never been to American Eagle, I might have to now!

@jlegette78 The good news is, if you follow the news, retailers are piled with inventory right now so you might be able to score some deals, depending on what you looking for I guess.

The bad news is, if you plan on losing more, stuff you buy right now also won't fit in the future 😂. But it is a good problem to have and congrats.

@jlegette78 It's a good problem, but still can be expensive.

Try to look-out for sales and maybe buy a capsule wardrobe to avoid spending too much.

I had to change my entire wardrobe a few times lately because of weight fluctuation, thrifstores are a gold mine.

Most of my favorite clothes comes from the thriftstore, I always try to buy clothes that look like new, some even had the store etiquette still on!

@jlegette78 If you love all your old clothes and want similar replacements I recommend checking out poshmark! Usually if you search the brand and the type of item you're looking for stuff comes up. Happy for you!

@jlegette78 Yes!!! I feel this. Do you have a place like Plato’s Closet nearby? I’ve been bringing my old stuff there and get money to buy new clothes there for mad cheap.

Before I started losing weight (196->128) I had bought hundreds of dollars worth of new clothes at Torrid. I lost weight FAST and some clothes I only wore once or twice. I was so bummed. I decided to start my weight loss journey with like 2 days off thinking about it and just never looked back. I loved myself @ my old size, I just had an epiphany about my health and energy one day, decided to diet/exercise the next. It’s been over a year and I’m still doing well.

@lemonbalm Congrats on the weight loss, I’m glad you’re doing well now!

I do have a place like that, I guess I’m gonna have to make a trip. The people who raised me never got rid of clothes, they saved everything, so it’s weird to finally get rid of some!

@jlegette78 I had the same experience! Went from 163–>113.
It’s been bittersweet because of having to purchase an entire new wardrobe. 🥴

I’ve been slowly collecting clothing items and have had good luck with old navy and GAP petite for staple items, especially when they have sales.

I also just started a ShortStory subscription box and am loving it! I feel so much more confident in clothing now and am more open to clingy fabrics and form fitting styles. I highly recommended it if your wanting to replenish and expand your wardrobe. 🤗

Congrats on the weight loss!—you’ll find new clothing you love…and after all is done it’ll motivate you to stay healthy so you don’t have to go through that again. I know thats the case for me, lol!

@jlegette78 I only really buy the minimum amount of clothing to get by as I go down in size. When I do buy more, I go for the stuff that's barely big enough to fit so I'll get a couple months of use out of it. Stretchy stuff is the best for this, which is conveniently also what I prefer to wear for exercise anyway.

I feel fortunate that I don't have a job that requires me to dress nicely. That said, I'm finally getting into sizes that are easier to find in thrift stores, so I guess I could find things if I had to.