I think I have found the perfect protein source

purete

Off late I have been researching a lot on cheap but effective sources of protein and then I came across skimmed milk powder. It is perfect considering it provides 35g of protein for as low as 40-45rs, this is insane. Pretty much cheapest complete source of protein with good bioavailability. There’s a catch tho, it has ridiculously large quantities of carbs. 100g of powder has 48-52g of carbs in the form of lactose. Hence it also led to diarrhoea and extremely uncomfortable gas. So I thought about consuming it in curd form, now adding lactic acid bacteria to this reduces lactose and makes it easier to digest. Digestion issues were reduced by maybe 50%, at least I wasn’t experiencing explosive diarrhoea but still the bloating and gas was there. What I did was went one step ahead and let the bacteria do its magic for more than 5-6 hours. This time instead of refrigerating it after 5-6 hours, I went ahead with letting it ferment for an entire day i.e. 24 hours, now the bacteria flourished and pretty much turned most of lactose to lactic acid. I made sour curd basically, the large amount of lactic acid made it very sour which is a good sign the sourer it gets the lesser the carbs it contains. Boom no digestion issues, no bloating and just 35g of pure complete milk protein without much carbs because body doesn’t digest lactic acid.

A few problems regarding data - I wasn’t able to find any resources on internet that provided data regarding the rate at which bacteria converts lactose to lactic acid or how is lactic acid digested or metabolised through the digestive system. So I can’t accurately pin point how much carbs the curd might contain.

@purete Tell me you are Vegetarian without telling me you are Vegetarian.

Jokes aside include Tofu, Paneer, Soya, Hung Curd everyday in your meals. Supplment with whey. If you can't afford eat wherever it is possible. Remember old Vegetarian Indian bodybuilders/atheletes didn't look that much great than your biggest guy in every average gym.

Clearly your food choices are more important than gains for you. So just accept a lower growth speed and make your peace with it. Why do all these mental gymnastics.

If there were better protein sources don't you think researchers would have found it? Since there is so much research is done in longetivity wrt to Vegetarian diets.

@suamaytinh5s Yes I have accepted that it’s difficult to build muscles as a vegetarian but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t research on cheaper sources of protein and food combinations. This is not mental gymnastics, you mentioned eat paneer hung curd etc. everyday, buddy my post is literally on curd lmao, did you even read it.

You don’t understand how difficult it is to fulfill protein requirements as a vegetarian under a budget, if soya was actually as useful as dairy and poultry then everyone would have been eating only soya all day since it is dirt cheap. Also, Tofu is pretty expensive. Whey is amazing but it’s still not the cheapest source out there.

This is important for people who want lean sources of protein, lean sources of vegetarian protein are very less, what you eat and your choice of food is very important since it’s the nutrition that builds muscle lol.

@purete Man you have no idea I used to be a Vegetarian few years back for Spiritual reasons. But after going obese I changed my choices. I started seeing meat as medicine for survival instead of just food.

10 years back I would eat 250g soya chunks everyday and everyone would laugh at me. I didn't care.

If there were better protein sources don't you think researchers would have found it? Since there is so much research is done in longetivity wrt to Vegetarian diets. Thats why I said its pointless. I know the struggle.

@suamaytinh5s What I mentioned is literally curd lmao, sour curd is a part of many cuisines for centuries, there’s already enough research on benefits of sour curd on gut health and it’s good protein content. People aren’t just aware of it much here like you that’s the reason why made this post to share what I found out.

I don’t care whether meat is medicine or whatever bs you are saying, it really doesn’t matter in this discussion, a lot of people here are vegetarians and I am just helping them out with a cheaper and good lean source of protein.

@purete Give me some time, I am out today. I will find decent research, that will show the harms of eating too much curd/yogart. At least in the context of fitness, relying totally on curd for protein -- I have a feeling, won't be optimal.

@purete I have found one study which suggests too much curd consumption can cause progression of type 2 diabetes. This study was done in rats. As I find more research I will update this comment. I haven't yet researched if this can impact non diabetic humans.

"Hence regular consumption of curds can lead to glycation of proteins, inflammation and oxidative stress that can cause progression of diabetes."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2212429220311676#:~:text=Hence%20regular%20consumption%20of%20curds,can%20cause%20progression%20of%20diabetes.

Another study suggests not to eat too much yogurt to complete protein requirement:

"In the 1980s, McCarthy reported that daily protein intake of up to 2 g/kg was not detrimental to kidney function in male athletes (7, 40). As the daily intake of PRO-WPI products for the athletes participants (0.82 g/kg), caused elevated concentration of albumin (38.25 and 44.13 mg/g in G1 and G2, respectively) compared to placebo group (8.57 mg/g), exceeding the reference range (

@jenfer The second study doesn’t mention yoghurt or curd, it mentions curd/yoghurt enriched with whey protein isolate to increase protein content.

I have been eating it for more than a month now and will be doing routine bloodwork anyway then I’ll post my results to you as well.

@purete I don't think what they are concerned about is whey. It's the high albumin from the yogurt they are concerned about. There's also a lot of bacteria in curd/yogurt. I agree that normal consumption of curd or yogurt is beneficial. I am just concerned about excessive eating for protein's sake. Albumin also binds to testosterone, so this might lower free T.

I don't have much expertise in biology. There shouldn't be any major problem with over consuming. I myself had giardia virus for 3 years. I am reading further.

@jenfer The bacteria in curd doesn’t harm us it’s a different strain, it only feeds on lactose and shits lactic acid that’s the only thing it does, we have many such bacteria in our gut also which help us digest different kinds of sugar.

@purete That is correct. It is actually beneficial. All the pro biotics supplements are similar concepts. Most of the research I am finding seems to be for people with existing conditions, mainly kidney problems and diabetes.

It's just that consuming one particular food source in general is not a good idea. If I am not wrong, curd is mainly casein, which is a very good idea before bed time.

Up until now, I haven't found anything problematic for normal people consuming too much curd.

@jenfer I consume protein from 4-5 different sources, as a vegetarian the sources are limited. I mentioned sour curd because it’s a good source to get 30-35g of protein out of your total protein intake, the rest can be completed with milk whey, eggs and chicken if one is non veg.

@purete Most Indians don't know that eggs are vegetarian. On flights if you mention vegetarian food then you will be served with eggs. A female chicken is gonna lay female-egg every cycle regardless if it has sex with a male chicken or not.

If someone is avoiding eggs, because they think they are killing something, then that's entirely wrong. Milk is no different from eggs -- both are animal food.

I respect people who are fully vegan and avoid all milk and dairy.

@jenfer And tell me how’s that relevant to this discussion? Please enlighten me. I just suggested a source of protein for people who don’t eat eggs and meat. Their reasons for not eating eggs and meat is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

@purete It is very relevant. Most Indian population consume milk, but they don't consume eggs for only one reason, being vegetarian. My comment is trying to fix that false premise. Indian people are majority Hindu's. They avoid eggs or meat thinking it is jeev hatya (killing of living beings).

I'd also like to point out that eggs are banned in most western countries schools. A lot of peopele are allergetic to eggs. In that case your post is completely valid.

You suggested milk as an alternative but that is no better than eggs in terms of giving pain to animals. For those people, they should become vegan. Most girls in western countries are turning vegan for this reason. I have met plenty of them.

I believe that if Indian people are educated properly, they will start consuming eggs, without contradicting their religious values.